Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Bread book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Bread book Reply with quote

Last night I had the delightful experience of being on the front row for Peter Reinhart's class on whole grain breads. He is touring with his latest book, Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor. He was gracious enough to sign every book presented to him. I brought only two - this one and also American Pie. I felt too guilty to bring my entire stack of his books. Before and after class he chatted with everyone, answering whatever questions they might have.

We watched him make (and sampled!) several recipes, including High Extraction Country Miche, Spent Grain Bread, Whole Wheat Mash Bread, Vollkornbrot, and Four Seed Whole Grain Crackers.

The class voted on our favorite, Spent Grain Bread, which is made from the grains left over from beer making. Apparently breweries are only too happy to give the stuff away (especially, it seems, if you trade the beer maker a loaf of bread in exchange).

I can heartily recommend taking the class if he happens to tour near you. And I can also recommend the book. My first read of it had me checking the front to see if perhaps I'd picked up the instruction manual for flying the space shuttle, but after watching his demos, it all became so clear that all the recipes are totally approachable.

A special bonus of the evening was that he gave each student a knob of whole grain sourdough starter and a baggie full of fresh spent grain. I can't tell you how much pleasure it gives me to know that my starter originated from Reinhart's own hands. Pretty cool. I fed mine last night when I got home, and this morning I found it happily growing. Before long the aroma of fresh baked bread will waft through this house.
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSue,

Thanks so much for letting us hear about your evening with Peter Reinhart. I went to his blog and found the schedule for California. He will be in NOCAL end of Feb, beginning of March -and I am sure I will be there with Sam the Baker! And perhaps we can convince Georgia to come along!

Love the idea of the spent grain bread. Sam has been using a no knead recipe with beer in it, which he adapts with whole grains and it is QUITE flavorful.

And now I know what to give him for his birthday! Laughing
msue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Get there early if possible, when he will have more time to sign your book or answer a question or two. He was very generous with his time at our event.

I fed my starter last night, and again tonight, and it is already becoming the Starter that Ate Manhattan (or Texas, actually). I'll be sharing quite a lot of it in the coming days. I'm feeding it with White Whole Wheat flour (King Arthur), and will make my first sourdough loaf in the next few days.

In the meantime, I've started the process on the spent grain bread. It should be ready for baking tomorrow. This one is slated to be used as sandwich bread. Can't wait for workday lunches this week!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msue- Have to completely agree that the book was so much more intimidating before the class. Once he showed what the concept is, it's so easy to make each element and let them wait until you're ready for combining them into the final dough, shaping and baking.
KathleenH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this makes me realise how important the link between theory and demonstrated practice really is. I've had to learn most of my (meagre!) bread making skills from books, and the opportunity to learn in person from a master - or anyone with more experience - is so valuable. Bring on the bread-making classes and book tours! =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: