Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

How to Cook Your Life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eileen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: How to Cook Your Life Reply with quote

Documentary with Edward Espe Brown. Zen Buddhism comparing religious principles to cooking. Anyone else seen?
To my European neighbours, I have one dvd with German subtitles, if you'd like, I'll send it along.
Raven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1973, Edward Espe Brown brought out Tassajara Cooking, based on his experience cooking at a Zen center in California. The book was succeeded by a couple of others, and they are all still in print. I used to enjoy making his recipe for Tibetan Barley Bread. He specified that the ingredients be mixed to "earlobe consistency" -- a charming directive, specific and easy to follow. The result was delicious.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it last year and left this comment at the time Eileen. Scroll down to July 24th
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1294&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=360[url][/url]
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its played in Portland at an independent-only theater, but we have yet to mosey on down there. Might Netflix it- it looked like a good time.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm-- a small coincidence--right before I saw this thread about Tassajara yesterday I was looking through my "Three Bowl Cookbook", by Tom Pappas. He too cooked for Buddhists, at the Yokoji Zen Mountain Center in the the San Jacinto Mountains. (California also.) A vegetarian theme here (squash, parsnips!) made me pick it off the shelf. Almost everything looks good, but (where did I hear this?) I thought that practicing Buddhists do NOT eat onion or garlic, ALL flavor kept to a minimum, actually.
Of course the Gorgonzola and sherry and feta in the recipes could be for the paying guests only!
Barbara, I seem to remember reading..this is vague..that you have a relation or friend who is an expert in Zen practice? I wonder what the Buddhists monks in Japan, Korea, etc. actually eat.
DebbieN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: No garlic or onions? Naaaah... not possible Reply with quote

Well, maybe at a zendo retreat. But most Buddhists are Indian, Vietnamese, Japanese--just regular people. They eat a pretty wide variety of flavors.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DebbieN..I was mostly curious about the monks, not the lay people--a google of the subject

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=buddhists%20eat%20onion%20and%20garlic%3F&FORM=AB&mkt=en-us

leads me to believe that many people do have that dietary restriction--I certainly would be lost without garlic onions spring chives etc. !
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale you are right, my cousin is married to a practising Buddhist who has written meditation books.
(You can read about his books here. http://www.davidmichie.com/ )

He is a vegetarian but does eat fish. I have attended a buddhist class with him where food was discussed. Members are asked to commit to what they are comfortable with. So some buddhists do it eat meat.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I attended a Thai temple back home I remember a lot of dried fish and fruit was brought for the monks to eat through out the week. I loved going there, I learned so much.

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Barbara, I knew there was a connection between you and Nirvana Very Happy

The book(s) look interesting--what better question than "What does it take to be happy?"
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale,

Jen aka Knifethrower also has a Nirvana connection... must be that loaf she's smooching!

For me, Heaven is my bed (I was a cat in a past life Wink) either that or the Royal Pavilion at Brighton, Sussex. Or... Nottingham's Bridlesmith Gate which has a huge bookshop at one end and at least four shoe shops along it. Also, Hotel Chocolat is five minutes away and the Castle about ten minutes away on foot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: