Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Recipe keeper/organizer software
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elena

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Recipe Software for Macs Reply with quote

I have been looking for a Mac compatible recipe organizing software that gives automatic nutritional analysis like MasterCook does for a long time. I tried MacGourmet and iCuistot but in both you have to input the nutritional information yourself. Has anyone tried TheRecipeManager by XtremeMac? They do not allow trial downloads so can't test drive it. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Elena Cool
queenla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elena, I hope someone answers you. Do you believe that extrememac gives nutritional information??
I can't believe how brilliantly organised you are Rainey- I am very impressed. Do these programs allow one to scan a hand written recipe- that arrives on the screen type written, or in a font that can be changed around?
This is great news for me.
( I am a long time Mac-er, currently running a laptop G4 and a desk top G5)
Good thread.
fingers crossed and grateful for any comments-and all of the above!
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping that the Recipe Manager allows scanning and gives nutritional info as well. So keep us posted!!!

I would love to use recipe organizing software, but DREAD the idea of sitting down and typing in all my good recipes! Crying or Very sad I just don't have the time! However, having received several recipes from Rainey, I see how useful it might be to have them more "at my fingertips" as opposed to trying to remember which cookbook they're in or figure out where I stashed the clipping...

I could not, for the life of me, find my favorite crab cake recipe the other night - clipped from the Sunday Times magazine a hundred years ago. So I faked it and it turned out OK, but I want my recipe! Where is it? Sad

So - maybe I ought to MAKE the time!

Laughing
msue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: MacGourmet Reply with quote

This is resurrecting an old thread, but here goes:

I am considering getting MacGourmet to manage my recipe files. For those of you who use it, are you still happy with it? Is there another program you have found that is worth a look? MacGourmet appeals to me, but I'd like to hear anyone's current thoughts about it before I order a copy.

I admit to being a bit haphazard in storing recipes. Some are in email files, some are documents, and others are stored as Palm memo files. Plus, there are stacks of clippings shoved into a large binder. I gotta get better organized!

(And apologies to PC users who aren't interested in Mac software.)
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, such organization! I envy you all. Though I don't expect to change any time soon. It wouldn't be me if I weren't shuffling papers around, up ending file boxes, a pen sitcking out of my hair searching for some kitchen notes I scribbled ten years ago.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with MacGourmet.

There are things I hope they'll get around to adding like the ability to keep two recipe windows open at the same time. And linking one recipe to another. And, for some reason, they only have a field to input "servings" in a single (rather than a range) entry and nothing for a "yield" like 1 cup of salad dressing or a quart and a half of ice cream.

Still, makes everything accessible — all my recipes with the notes that attend to them; all my general notes about substitutions, conversions, techniques, etc. Then, too, I can copy recipes without concern that I've got a typo that will affect the results (a BIG problem for me before). And I can C&P in a recipe that I think I might want to try in a flash whether they come from someone sharing something here or on another forum or from Epicurious or major publications.

I can't remember what I paid to download the program but it was well worth it and I'd do it again even if I weren't amortizing it over the years I've had and relied on it.
msue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rainey. I downloaded the free trial and am playing with it now. It isn't expensive (about $30 for the CD version, $25 for the full download). It looks nice, especially the import feature.

Now I will have to get organized enough to organize my semi-disorganized files!

Thanks again for the feedback.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear how you use it. Don't forget there's the website for getting help with it and making your own suggestions about how they improve it.
westmore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a site called http://mydreamapp.com which had a contest last year to see who could design the best user interface for a new Mac application. The winner was supposed to have his or her application built for them based on their design.

The winner created a design for a great recipe application and I've been waiting patiently for the to build the app for some time now. But, I think the organizer was just one person and he seems to have given up. It's a shame because there is a real demand for a program like that.[/url]
msue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, in the free download, there is a field for "yield", just as you suggested. The current version is 2.2.6, so perhaps it has been updated since your last upgrade. I think the upgrades are free, but I really am not sure.

So far I've experimented with importing a recipe from epicurious, and trying to move one in my Palm software to macgourmet. The transfer from the Palm to the free trial wasn't perfectly smooth, but perhaps I'll figure out a way to make it work better.

Looks pretty nifty so far.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I've discovered that I had a very old version and I upgraded to the new one that has that feature.

I'm noodling around in it to see what else is new. ...tho I'm disappointed to see that all the displays are much more boring than they used to be.

Wish I could help with info about the transfers but I'm techo-illiterate. What I've always done is copy the entire recipe into "Directions" and then transfer portions into the other screens like "Ingredients" as I find the time. If it helps to just do that, you at least have them accessible in no time flat.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man! I want to thank you for bringing that up!

Not only did I find out that there was a newer version, but that version has many of the things I've always wanted. And the Advenio website had Quicktime tutorials to show me how easy they are to use.

I will have to make additions to my database as I pull up recipes but, in general, it will be so much easier to use and more versatile. I have noted, for example, that I no longer need to type in the list of ingredients when I import.

Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!
msue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect timing for everyone then!

Thanks for your feedback about the software. It will be nice to have a tool to organize all these files.

Smile
westmore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be a bad idea to forget the desktop software and go with a website. That way if something happens to your computer, you don't lose all of your recipes, you don't starve to death.

Tasty Planner is a new site that offers an OS X Dashboard Widget, lets you organize and share your recipes AND creates a grocery list for you. I'm not impressed by the recipes currently on there, but you can just use it as an organizer for your own recipes and share them if you like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: