Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Provincetown and Boston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David and sweetbabyjames, this is probably silly of me, but I looked at the Baraka website and happened to notice it says "cash only" -- No credit cards--
Didn't want you two to be caught short! It's a little unusual for a restaurant to have that policy, and since you're both traveling..
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David- I just caught on that you're travelling to the States. Bet you'll enjoy the new exchange rate and bet you'll be able to make the most of it!

Have a great time!
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBJ,

I have only just bought UnLundun but haven't yet read it! I'm finishing off some library books first and then I'm going to dive in. I'm new to China Mieville's books but UnLundun looked very interesting. Now if I had a Subtle Knife to get through to Cambridge Mass. that would do it!

I also got Julie and Julia - Julie Powell's NY project to cook every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I've sort of started that and it is very funny. I really pity her husband!!!

Do give my twin brother a beeg hug from me when you see him! He's so lucky to be able to eat out with you and cigalechanta... tho' also you're both lucky to be able to eat out with him too. Ohhh I wish I could join ya!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thanks GP! I hadn't noticed that - and I rarely carry cash. Will be prepared now!
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you will all have one big group hug from me. Have fun.

Griffin - I knew I wasn't going to like Julie/Julia at the end of chapter one. I perservered for another 100 pages and gave it away. And gave the book away too. The recipient didn't even make 100 pages before giving up.

I think I expected something different from the book. I'd love to know if others have enjoyed the book.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara- So wonderful to "see" you! Nice, too, to hear that someone else didn't care for Julie. Everyone else seems to find her so perky and charming. I thought she was ... well, sort of obnoxious. But then I didn't read the book. I had the audio tapes playing in the car and it might have been her voice and her reading...
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie and Julia is being made into a movie with Meryl Streep as Julia. It's due for release next year.

David, SBJ, cigalechanta, have a fantastic time!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that Julie/Julia is an acquired taste. I didn't know what to expect, I picked up the book in a charity shop here so somebody else didn't like it either. I find it funny enough to keep reading, but I can see where she's a little too much for some.

Still, I have a new copy of Alexander Pope's 'The Rape of the Lock' to read as well with the Aubrey Beardsley illustrations after, so I can then let my imagination loose - but lightly!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meryl Streep as Julia Child? That will be interesting! Maybe she will be heard but not seen? (Like Humphrey Bogart guiding Woody Allen in "Play It Again, Sam".)
Both Streep and Child are so admired.
The ingenue who'll play Clotilde probably not born yet Wink

Griffin,
teleportation
is a skill for which I'd kill
(end of haiku here)
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Griffin, stop reading now if you don't want to know)

Actually, the only "appearance" Julia Child makes in the book is to have her publisher convey that she declines to meet with Julie. ::shrug::
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey - I've read that bit, which I thought quite typical really. You'd love the Grande Fromage but all you get is the last bit of Stilton rind! And if the Grande Fromage turned up you'd end up feeling terrified/disappointed or both.

Oh, maybe Natalie Portman to play Clotilde? Slim, attractive, dark hair... tho' Clotilde has a particularly lovely smile which I don't think even La Portman could replicate.

Gingerpale, love the haiku! There was a tv show in the 70s I remember called 'The Tomorrow Children' I think. They had belts that they used to teleport with. But yeah, I'd love to be able to teleport too. So many places to go, not nearly enough hard cash to get there.... or even a basket carried by a cloud of swans...!!!
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, we're waiting breathlessly for an account of your mini-vacation! Cool Cool
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WANNA MOVE TO BOSTON!!!!!

Hi gang, have returned from my lovely lovely little vacation. Provincetown is indeed lovely this time of year! I was blessed with 3 days of sunshine shimmering off the waters, and in the evenings a beautiful full moon, (one evening complete with eclipse), shone like a painting off the bay waters. My room was lovely and I'd spend my reading time with the fireplace playing, a book in hand and a view of the harbour and bay. I am highly recommending The Mews and Fanizzi's by the Sea and Napi's for excellent eating and lovely service. Sadly The Bistro at Crowne Point was a little disappointing.

Flew back to Boston as the only passenger in an 8 seater and had to circle the airport for ages while they cleared a runway (for me!!!!) as 25 cms of snow was falling at the time. Had a wonderful time with a tall, classy and beautiful young woman we know here as sweetbabyjames, who, after our adventure in North African cuisine (thanks for the tip about the cash by the way---oh and it is Islamic so no alcohol either--but fabulous service!) was kind enough to give me a car tour of parts of Cambridge and Boston, which at that point had become near impassable on foot. Cannot but give full marks to the food in Boston. Hamersley's, Aquitaine, Bouchee, China Pearl and Taj all delivered extremely well. Baraka was good but i think in the end I just don't care for za'taar! Fabulous mint tea and home made lamb merquez and the spicy fries were a revelation and cheap!!! Saturdays lunch with cigalechanta was a laugh riot! This woman knows Boston and has a wealth of stories of Boston, P-town and beyond that kept me fascinated for a 2 hour lunch at Bouchee---followed by a bit of an intro to shopping in Boston. The view from the 50th floor of the Prudential building is a must---gives a really good idea of the layout of the city and the history. Unfortunately due to the weather I didn't get to any museums this time but have already talked to some other friends and we will all be heding to Boston later on when the trees are in full pelt.

Thanks to you all who helped make this little trip more fun than I had imagined!
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David I'm glad you had a lovely time in Boston. Such fun to be able to meet other C&Z'ers.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I WANNA MOVE TO BOSTON!!!!!
Haha David--if you do, please establish yourself there in time to vote for the right people in the November election!

Enjoyed hearing about your trip--I was beginning to think a Mum about Massachusetts meme had arisen..
*Nice* eclipse timing!! Provincetown sounds cozy and spectacular at the same time--it sure occupies a tiny little point of land in that big ocean.

Maybe cigalechanta and sweetbabyjames will add a few words?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: