Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Food Pairing for Mushroom & Chestnut Soup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Food Pairing for Mushroom & Chestnut Soup? Reply with quote

I want to make this for a light, vegetarian supper Sunday. Has anyone made it yet? Bread, cheese, salad greens, soup & fruit has become boring & predictable. I want to vary our meal with different colors & textures, building on the theme of earthy flavors without getting too labor-intensive. Maybe something with root veggies for salad/starter? But I'm open to any suggestions. Dessert will be blood oranges.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure love vegetable strudels--use any combination of vegetables (with or without cheese/eggs as part of the seasoned mixture), wrap in phyllo dough and bake 'til golden. Even cabbage this way is great!

Vegetable fritters, like corn fritters or zucchini pancakes.

Savory crepes could be filled with anything (seasoned mashed potatoes!)
Savory oats? Quinoa?

I've never ever tasted a chestnut--Clotilde (in the book) says they are pricey--is that true in Texas in February?
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GP! Veggie strudel sounds like a great idea to counteract this boredom & quick too, with filling made the day before. And it would look special.

Chestnuts are more starchy and sweeter than other nuts. A carton of 8 oz fresh, in-shell Italian nuts cost $4.

I'll post a review after next weekend.
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my absolute favourite recipes in the book... and while both times I've made it, I've gone down the predictable route of green salad/bread/cheese/fruit as accompaniments, I think if I were to vary this combination, I'd do a cool and fresh-tasting root vegetable salad - either celeriac remoulade (definitely Clotilde's version, as I'm not a big mayo fan) or carrot salad (I adore the version in the Rose Bakery cookbook, which has toasted seeds for extra crunch and chives for a sharper flavour).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: