Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Financiers au Miel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winkyndobby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Necessary to 'chill 1 hour'? Reply with quote

How does refrigeration affect this recipe, other than making the batter stiff enough to pipe into the molds?

I was just wondering if it was necessary to the texture or the taste of the recipe. I actually just stuck some in the oven, and then caught the "chill for an hour" step, which now has me a bit worried. Thanks!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winkyndobby, I've made these 4 times--they are delicious.
I know that many cookie doughs call for chilling--either to make them easier to handle, or to keep them from spreading too much on a cookie sheet.
Of course these are made in molds so they won't spread, but maybe the little rounded tops will not rise as nicely if you skipped the chill.

Maybe someone with more baking knowledge will post an answer here too.
I can't imagine the flavor will be anything less than wonderful, though!
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course these are made in molds so they won't spread, but maybe the little rounded tops will not rise as nicely if you skipped the chill.

Aha! So that's why the 'chill for an hour'! I wondered about that too, but just followed the recipe to see what would happen. And then ate the results regardless because they were too delicious not to.

Winkyndobby,

Don't beat yourself up over it (like a certain house elf!). Just have another go at it and remember the chill. When they rise they look fabulous.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin I am only guessing about the reason for chilling these before baking--I have no official knowledge or formal training, bake only for my own amusement and mouth! Maybe someone else can confirm or correct?

winkyndobby, please let us know how you liked 'em!
ericajones80

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodstocker wrote:
I think for those out there who drink nothing but coffee with cream and/or sugar (most of my family), honey just doesn't enter the picture very often. I drink tea only and use less refined sugars, so as an ingredient I'm open to honey. Americans also lean very heavily on white sugar which is less sweet than honey and has no residual flavor component. So while someone claiming to not like sweets/dessert would be disowned from the family (after we ate their share of course!), most of the family would rather taste the other ingredients with the sweetner as a backup than the sweetner with other flavors. Does that make sense?

And as for the elusive financiers au meil, I have cranberry/orange biscotti, black forest crinkles, choc. chip and snickerdoodles in the freezer keeping them company. I think a few of any of the above may actually make it to Christmas! Wink

very true....i am more of a tea drinker and love honey. I try not to lean on white sugar too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: