Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

the poetics of space + desire paths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: the poetics of space + desire paths Reply with quote

http://shapeandcolour.wordpress.com/2008/02/29/gaston-bachelard-the-poetics-of-space-desire-paths/

Our daughter sent me this link...and reminded me that we have a desire path outside our local library...

When I was young we used to play Monopoly..and somehow or other we radiated out from the board...our tummies on the carpet...over the years we created a circular desire path on the carpet..

Oh, on reflection perhaps not really a desire path...however I like to think of that worn 'n threadbare circle as a variation

I love that it has a name...what an exquisite idea..

Think of all the desire paths on the planet...I wonder if schools of fish create desire paths in the water Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find these frustrating - as one architect said, they are where the path ought to have gone if the designers had thought about it. There are pathways like this around Loughborough University and it is as if the 'officials' have decided that you 'will' walk on the paths provided... even tho' the paths made are for perfectly good reasons.

As a note-taker I use more direct pathways because I need to get from lecture to lecture in the least time possible. I have to be sitting at the front where I can see and hear clearly. If I get there late the seats may be taken so I take the quickest route (most direct) to get there. They are almost never the 'official' routes.

I admit I always used to think of them as animal paths because where I used to live there were these little trampled pathways through woodland where animals had gone. Some had plants growing over the top of them creating little tunnels but others would cross the human paths too. So maybe all animals create these pathways of desire.

I like the idea of pathways of desire in the sea and in waters everywhere... invisible pathways that are passed through rather than along...
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever a path (in the dirt, water, air, spirit) that didn't start out with desire? Either through one person continually going a particular way or several people trying the same thing...This is a fun thing to think about. Maybe I need to revisit Poetics.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am imagining desire paths in the cosmos...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the Oval at Ohio State University--it shows the "desire paths", which were finally simply paved!

https://humanities.osu.edu/cohi/InterAdministration/EmerOps/images/osuoval.jpg

Shortcuts are picturesque in dry weather, but wet and muddy shoes and floors get old pretty fast-- hundreds of people (like on a campus) are walking in and out of buildings all day!

Griffin, where did you live that had woodland and small animals?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale...the same has happened to our library desire path...a transformation...from dirt to concrete...further example of change..ah...tooooo late in the night for such talk...am as tired as can be...full to the brim with music..'n tired at the same time...

glass raised to the desire pathers
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Griffin, where did you live that had woodland and small animals?

Gingerpale,

Why, beautiful Sussex of course! We lived on the Northern edge of town - a walk away from enclosed small meadows and woodland that you could get to if you knew the pathways. I learned them as a boy and loved the green shades where no officialdom had touched or tainted or 'planned' for. In the late 90s however, with the expansion of the town some of that land sadly got planned for. Some of it - at that time at least, remained tho'.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one outside our building where people cross the road. I've been taking the proper route, only an extra 5 steps to the concrete path. Now I know it's called a desire path, I'll be taking it to. Love the name.
shelledone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*delurks* (this topic is just too interesting)

Calling in from LA, because I think that being a pedestrian around here is all about acquiring a "desire-path" ... uh... consciousness? Given that everything is scaled for cars, it's kind of catch as catch can when you're on foot. And, at first, it's incredibly daunting (after, say, one accidentally walks up onto a freeway ramp. or two.)... and then you begin to see all the ingenious ways people have of circumventing the mess.

And, oddly enough, this kind of behavior also seemed very prevalent when I was in Beijing. Pretty cool thing to see people climbing all over that ghastly Soviet-style architecture and making it thier own.

So maybe that kind of adaptability is one of those really neat bits of human nature? The ability to step off the path...
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg's property is on quite a slope and is often visited by kangaroos and a neighbour's sheep, who have created tracks up and down the slope.

I always try to keep to those tracks when I walk there 'cos I figure those 4-legged creatures have been doing it for years and know what they're doing!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shelledone...I love it to bits when a delurker delurks welcome welcome welcome...
shelledone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! Thanks for the warm welcome...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: