Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Paris in April - it's my turn!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Judy, how i wish------but I don't think it can be done at this time---I'll probably still be digging my house out or draining the basement when this pile of white stuff finally melts and floods everything!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys gotta promise to raise a glass to those tragically not present on the appointed day. Please?
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But of course, gingerpale!

David, I'm so sorry you can't make it to Paris. Here's a thought, why don't you come and visit Adelaide later in the year and bring some of that melted white stuff with you? Or you could even leave the melted white stuff behind and just bring yourself.

It's soooo dry here, and hot! Adelaide has just set a record for having the most days in a row with temperatures over 35C. And it's still hot, so we'll add a few more hot days to that record.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like I'll be able to this time either. Crying or Very sad But I am becoming determined... perhaps in July when the Summer Term's over... or if I can sneak it in, during the summer term!

Have a great time Judy... it's chilly here in the UK, so I'm guessing it's not a lot warmer in Paris. You will need sweaters... unless you want to buy chic French ones of course!
David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Judy---that sounds miserable! I'm not one for lots of hot hot weather! But a few days of it would be very nice indeed! Woke up to another 6 cms snow this morning--supposed to rain this afternoon! But the end is in sight! It's actually supposed to go above freezing for the next several days, single digits but nonetheless---I can smell spring!!!
swan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!
I know I'll be in France april 10-13, maybe even april 7-13, as my NB (New Boyfriend) has a house there (in les Sables d'Olonne, tips on where to eat anyone?!) which we will visit for a few days (yeyey, the house in France does make up for the moustache Laughing ).

I also know I HAVE to be back in Amsterdam not too late monday the 14th as I will be teaching quite a difficult course tuesday and wednesday. I'm not sure yet what our 'drive back home'plans will be, and if my NB would like to join us or prefers to put me on a train somewhere and head home alone, so I can follow the next day . (also depending on his work)
Long story - anyway - sunday might be a good day for me - or saturay evening perhaps, but please do make your plans and I will see if I can come and meet you guys....
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fantastic news, swan ..... that you'll be in France when we're there, that you have a NB and that he has a house in France. No doubt you would change the order of the aforementioned, but it's all good.

So, a C&Z gathering over the weekend of April 12-13. Debbie's away at the moment, but when she gets back, I'm sure she'll join in this discussion.

How exciting!

Griffin, I'm sorry you can't make it to Paris in April, but thanks for the tip about sweaters. I have almost forgotten what they are!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swan, we spent a great night in Sable d'Lonnes. I have a framed poster from there. It was exciting watching the circus on parade passing by our window that overlooked the beach.
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey swan, good to hear from you! (oh, and I like moustaches)
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, 13th is my boys birthday... so I probably can't come out and play that day.... Laughing

12th is looking good though! Swan and Judy, PM me and we will organise siomething.

Talking about weather. David, you have my interest. How does the house survive that depth of snow? Do you have to shovel it away from the walls so you don't get damage, or does it hold itself together pretty well and not cause problems till it melts?? I am curious.

Judy, Emily, you have my sympathies. That is one thing I emphatically DO NOT miss about Australia!!!!

Well, I just had three days of the most freezing cold wind and miserable drizzling rain. Newcastle in England is quite colder than I was expecting. Durham was fabulous. Actually attended the Palm Sunday matins service in the cathedral (by accident - not design....) and left in absolute awe at the choir. Simply magnificent. Of course I snuck in a bit of shopping at M&S, Boots and Waitrose.... and the outdoor market which was a mix of food and fripperies.

Had fabulous bacon, toasted tea cakes and proper tea, handcut chips with the skin still on, delish local (ish) cheeses and of course fish and chips with peas. Came home with 2 interesting stilton cheeses. One white stilton and cranberries, the other with blueberries.
David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee, well Debbie, I've got it kind of easy. My walls are 75cms (30 inches) thick and solid stone--so nothing gets through that! I may experience some minor flooding in the basement if there is a quick thaw, but since we got snow cover before the ground froze the earth may absorb the thaw as it goes and even with all this snow I may get off scott free! My house was built in 1848 and they knew what they were doing then---it's built on a small rise in the land and originally probably didn't have a basement---what I have now is pretty rudimentary and was probably dug out in order to install a furnace. But basically our houses are built for the climate and extremes are generally taken into consideration. It will be interesting to watch the rivers and streams around here though when the spring thaw is really under way!
nutellawunder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm here all that week-end, so let me know if you need any tips and tricks/directions or anything else...

I have not discovered the mysteries of PM on this site, but I guess it can't be that difficult Wink

Nicole
Pattycakes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: I'll be in Paris too Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I have been lurking this site for years and am arriving in Paris on April 8 and departing...oh, I don't want to think about that yet but I am there for a little over one week.

I would love to meet some of you so please let me know if there is an event or maybe we could all go out to dinner.

Also I'd be happy for recommendations for dinner on Sunday night. My go to place, Le Reminet, has changed hands and the reviews I've read are just not so good. Alternatively, does anyone know where the chef and his wife who ran the front of the house from Le Reminet went?

Patricia
simona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a topic about paris in February, and this one is about Paris in April. SO i'll just give my modest input about Paris in March, in case anyone feels that Paris was neglected this month by C&Zers.
Three days ONLY in Paris is pure masochism, but I've tried to make the most our of it. I met four friends, among them lovely Debbie ( as I mentioned in the other forum) I've seen two exhibitions, which I do recommend for those who have already seen the big ones, or just have enough time: the Christian Lacroix at the Arts Decoratifs ( I don't believe we women were really ready to wear some of those thigs there, ..)and the Man Ray exhition at Place Madeleine. We succeeded to see two plays, one "le Roi carotte" by Offenbach, a charming and witty interpretation of the lovely operette, as well as the last play by Yasmina Reza ( of ART fame), with the extremely talented Isabelle Huppert.
I also managed to eat in four restaurants and a nice cafe ( with Debbie). The most extravagant one was the Wepler, where we dined on oysters and Cote de boeuf, very traditional/classic dinner. The best one was a little french restaurant on 27, rue du Dragon (6eme), which name I forgot, where we were seated just accross M. Raffarin's table ( ex Premier Ministre) ,They have a very reasonable lunch menu ( I had a fish cassolette, rognons (kidneys) with a creamy potato puree , and a delicious pear sabayon + a glass of wine for 32 Euros, Raffarin included). The most bizarre meal we had was at Chez Michel, a bistro reccomended by some bloggers . I hesitated between Cretes de Coq au vin ( Rooster crests ) and Pig's ears Carpaccio ( the rooster won) as first dish; an interesting entree of veal chunks swimming in milk sauce (definitely not kosher..)with vegetables ( the "Pot au feu" of my friend was better), and a delicious Paris-brest and Kouing Amman for desert. A nice wine , good butter and slightly burned tasty campagne bread accompnied this meal. We decided, my LA friend and me , that giving our advanced age and life experience Laughing Laughing , we'll stick in the future with basics: the classical oysters and steak frites. Just to be on the safe side...I'm kidding, we did enjoy the meal, because the restaurant is cosy and the staff was really friendly, and because- in spite of our advanced age Sad - we are still open , once in a while , to "something else" Rolling Eyes .
After a quick invasion of the cheese deprtment at the Monoprix behind the Printemps department store, I felt that my three days in Paris had been quite satisfiying.
I hope the summit meeting of Judy-Debbie-Swan in April will be docummented and you will share with us photos!!
Have a wonderful stay Judy and Swan,

No more war, more rooster's crests in wine !!
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my simona, what a trencher full of delicacies! I've never even seen some of those dishes on a menu---ever! And I'd love to try those Crete de Coq au Vin!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: