Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Nostalgia!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: nostalgia Reply with quote

Mulberry tree- I remember , but I remember also white mulberries, or do I confound trees? I hove no brothers or sisters, so we kids just ate them , we picked them from the ground.
But I do remember stealing lilac . We climbed the fence into the courtyard of a small villa , and brought the trophee to our mothers. As I left Romania when I was 11 years old, I was propably a 9-10 thief.
Another childhood nostagia is the "dolls fashion show" we organized, four girl friends and a nanny. We designed and made ourselves the various doll's outfits and then we invited the parents ( poor parents) to admire our creations ( none of us became a designer later in life!!) . One of my girlfriends, descendent of Romanian grand bourgeois- lived in a private villa ( a vey rare thing in communist Romania those days) , which of course had been nationalized and other families moved to live with them. But they still had the big Loiuis XVI style living room left, complete with chandeliers and beautiful furniture - a perfect setting for our fashion shows. And then, there was the attic with "grand aunt Sofia" clothes ( she was 90 in the 50"), hats and accoutrements from another times!!! My favourite was a big black hat with black feathers....In the then very austere communist regime, we succeeded to live, if only rare moments, in a fantasy world. Children... But i'll stop now. Otherwise I won't be able to stop...
I really like this forun, and hope we all continue to remember. It feels good!!

No more war, more nostalgia!
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulberry trees! What a mess they used to make. My friends sister was much older than us and a doctor. She used to dress us in the paper surgical clothes and put surgical gloves on our hands and shower caps on our hair and then we would climb the mulberry tree and feast. We were supposed to be collecting the fruit to make jam, but I seem to remember most of the fruit being eaten and having purple tongues and lips. For 2 little fair haired "girly" girls, we certainly knew how to make a mess of ourselves!

Simona, maybe you had a different type of mulberry? Our ones where a pale whitish colour until they ripened, but I don't think they were palatable until ripe. I am sure there would have to be different cultivars of mulberry, justlike with other fruit. Your doll fashion shows sound great! Isn't imagination a wonderful thing!

Lilac is something which I have discovered since being in Paris. It is wonderful. The perfume is so strong and the flowers are really quite pretty. I actually quite like the tree it grows on too.
seastar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nostalgia ....

I am in the midst of looking for a cookbook that we had growing up, which was a permanent fixture in every Canadian kitchen:

5 Roses Flour Good Cooking Cookbook (or something to that extent)

I remember it so well, the tattered pages just barely hanging on, the metal spiral binding, the stains that ran through from front to back.

Having a bit of a cookbook collection bug that I can't rid myself of, I am having great luck finding it at www.abebook.com! Used and new booksellers around the world. Don't you just love the internet!

So, I am off to purchase a piece of my childhood nostalgia ....

Oh yeah, and for those that are Southern Ontario, Canada natives ...

Mackie's, Port Stanley, Ontario

My family has 5 generations of memories of eating french fries smothered in their undescribable, mystery ingredients, sweet tomato "ketchup" sauce on the beach, looking out at Lake Erie.

I can taste it now!

On Leavened Bread - Salman Rushdie
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather, who grew up pre-WWII in the Lower East Side of NYC, had one gas light in the kitchen that all the kids would gather around to do their homework. He used to tell me stories about it and could never understand why people would want to eat by candlelight!

I'm a young 'un and a city kid, so I have no fun memories like all of you, unfortunately. I'll have to join Erin in being nostalgic for Mr. Rogers. OO, and those rainbow-marzipan cookies my grandfather always brought home. I'm sure they're still around but I haven't had any since he died.
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seastar--the Five Roses Cook Book by Elizabeth Driver was first published in 1915 and apparently was ubiquitous across the land! Glad abebooks.com has been helpful. The book is available again new at $16.95 Canadian. It is part of Whitecap Books, "Classic Canadian Cook Book Series" and the specific ISBN is 1551109956. So in the end if you don't have any luck getting a decent used one get your local independent book store to order you one!

cheers.
simona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: nostalgia Reply with quote

I made a little "research" in the forum topics and I found out that the most popular one was "Comfort food" (119 entries). I have a feeling Nostalgia will catch up with Comfort food. Thanks David for both these topics ( and the other 10 or so you proposed). I have learned a lot about our friends from them , because we talk about ourselves. I feel I know a litttle bit better the persons behind the names/nicknames.
Which reminds me of another personal nostalgia item: the smell of the Goyava fruit. This pungent and very distinctive smell is associated in my mind with my first month in Israel, when, as an 11 years old ex- city girl ( I was born in Bucharest), I had to walk through an orchard full of Guyava trees to the 2 miles far-away from home school. This smell, and this fruit, you either love it or hate it. I loved it and still do. After two months we moved to Tel -Aviv and I became a city-girl again, but I'll never forget my first "sensual" encounter with my new homeland.
I hope this forum will continue to live, i love to read it, and I'll certainly try to keep it alive.

No more war, more nostalgia! ( This Motto, is a paraphrase of a moment which became, unfortunaly, nostalgia: When Anwar Saadat came to Israel in 1977, he declared : "no more war, no more bloodshed!". Amen!)
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gosh simona! Sensuous is certainly the way to describe that fruit! I did a quick google first to make sure we were talking about the same thing and it came up guyava-guayaba-goyave-guava. It is by the latter that I know it. My very first trip to Hawai'i I discovered thiat amazing little pulpy fruit--what a joy. Thanks for tingling my memory.
Ana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my youth (I'm a 46 girl) I was in Mozambique, where I was born. There was no fresh milk, we used condensed or powdered. My dad was posted to a small administrative post in the middle of nowhere and stapples like milk, butter, salt, flour, had to be bought in quantity enough for 6 months. During the rain season the Zambeze river overflowed and the dirt roads became nice lakes and we could not go anywhere.

In the backyard we had chickens, ducks, a pig or two and goats. We had plenty of eggs and to this day chicken is my favourite. I ate it just about every day. Fish was salted codfish or canned sardines or tuna.

The backyard also had plenty of fruit, guavas, magoes, cherimoya, papayas, bananas, oranges, tangerines, tamarind, cashews, and others for which I do not know an English name. Have never seen them here. When I was there I used to dream of strawberries and cherries. Today I long for tropical fruit. The taste of what we get here does not compare.

Thanks David! What a delightful idea
seastar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Thanks David! Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info David! How very exciting! I think that I am going to order a used one, for nostalgia's sake....

Happy cookbook cruisin' !

Laughing

On Leavened Bread - Salman Rushdie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: