Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

good raclette in paris?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbcarlton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: good raclette in paris? Reply with quote

What restaurants in Paris do people recommend for eating raclette? We used to go to the Ferme St. Hubert (if I'm remembering the name correctly), but it had closed the last time we were there, and we couldn't find a replacement that we liked.

(Incidentally, what restaurant guides do people recommend? We used to use Patricia Wells' Food Lovers Guide to Paris, but she hasn't published a new edition in ages.)
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

It's difficult for me to recommend a good place for raclette or fondue because those are, to me, mountain-top dishes to eat after a long day of hiking or skiing. Additionally, Paris restaurants that serve it tend to cater to the starving student/backpacker who's not too picky about the quality of his cheese -- there were exceptions, including the one you mention and a few run by Androu√ęt, but they're closed now.

If I were you, though, I would consider the restaurant Pain, vin, fromages (3 rue Geoffroy-l'Angevin in the 4th, 01 42 74 07 52), which seems to have good reviews all around.

And regarding the Paris restaurant guide, I can't resist pointing out that I have a book coming out later this month on this very subject (+ food shops), called Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris. More info here.

PS: I lived for two years in Mountain View, CA! Give the farmers market my love, will you?
dbcarlton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, small world! Yeah, we ran into one of those starving student restaurants last time, and I don't want to repeat that experience: I can buy much better raclette than that from the Milk Pail in Mountain View and cook it at home. Thanks for the restaurant recommendation, we'll definitely give that a try.

And great timing on your book! We're traveling on the 12th, so it looks like it won't quite be out in the US before we leave, but we'll make sure to stop by La Cocotte soon after we land to pick up a copy.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbcarlton..welcome indeed!...ah raclettte

while I realise this is cyberspace....would you like to join me at this table? I will never forget my first experience of raclette..I thought it such a community experience...arms moving ...little trays going in and out...

I'd not heard of it in Australia...'n so this brand new experience...this, a dining room in Orange..Anita et Alain worked their magic that day...

Paris!
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, the Milk Pail market! We used to raid those cheese fridges, and loved that the most gooey ones came at a reduced price. Smile

La Cocotte has Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris on order, and should have it when it is released, on April 22.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbcarlton..oops..forgot to post the photo...here 'tis:

dbcarlton

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gave Pain, vin, fromage a try; it was quite pleasant, with both good cheese and good accompaniments. (Meat, potatoes, etc.) I miss scraping the cheese off the melting side of a half-wheel of cheese, but that restaurant is loads better than the quality of cheese in the starving student places.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: