Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Know anyone who needs to break the fastfood habit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Know anyone who needs to break the fastfood habit? Reply with quote

Catch the dates on those burgers. Then check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyDXH1amic

My son does NOT go back to school without seeing it!
msue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's disgusting! The part that got me the most, even more than the long list of chemicals, is that each burger contains meat of up to 1000 cows. Yuck.

I haven't had fast food in so long that I really don't remember it, but now there isn't a chance I'll return to it...ever!
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they say everyone needs a hobby............................
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!! I just can't imagine doing this! How does he store them? there must be some need to protect them from vermin or insects! Just because they're loaded with chemicals, doesn't mean the mice aren't interested! Rolling Eyes

I've never been a big one for fast food, but I did take Ben occasionally to McDonalds. Then in High school he decided he wouldn't eat fast food again! On his own! Without me nagging! Now, he's even fussier than he was then!

A couple of years ago, I heard something on NPR about In & Out burger. It was talking about their hiring practices and the fact that they give such good benefits, training and opportunities for advancement - so Sam and I went there for lunch one Saturday. that was it. The hiring practices may be good, but - it's just a fast food burger. Rolling Eyes No thanks!
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am soooo with you on In 'n Out!

There is one near me. It's situated where an extremely busy road climbs a bit of a hill and makes a turn so that, approaching it, it's difficult to see what's coming. Half of the time there are lines stopped out into the street waiting to pull into In 'n Out. And people say it with reverence.

I don't get it! It's a hamburger and not a remarkable one at that.... We've got some pretty good burgers in our area of the Valley. And some of them are the flat short-order variety. InO wouldn't be in my top 20. ...tho I do like that you can get them with grilled onions.
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why anyone would not see the honesty in calling it an In and Out burger and leave it well alone... surely it's In one end and Out the other?!!

My mum wouldn't ever let us touch fast food to the point where I don't myself now.
Deste

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msue wrote:
The part that got me the most...is that each burger contains meat of up to 1000 cows. Yuck.
This is an exaggeration, though Eric Schlosser first noted how burgers contained meat from dozens or even hundreds of cows in Fast Food Nation. From what I understand, it's true of the ground beef sold in US supermarkets, too.

Does anyone know the name of the one small-scale fast-food joint Schlosser recommends? I think it's in the midwest, but googling gets me nowhere. In any respect, it's not a place to lunch on a daily basis, but when you do, you can avoid the multi-bovine phenomenon.

Jamie Oliver reports something similar when analyzing the boneless, coated chicken strips chains market to kids.
Who knows how many cows go into the packet of beef stew meat I pick up at Whole Foods? Nonetheless, when I crave a really good burger, I like freezing the meat for about 10-15 minutes, then grinding it coarsely in the food processor. So much better!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never ate fast food as a kid and only a bit as a teenager and young adult. Now a days eating it is a rare occurance and never from the big chains. I grew up knowing exactly where my meat came from; my grandpa's pasture, and although I rarely eat meat these days I make an effort to buy from a trusted butcher. Sadly, they are few and far between.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole concept of fast food didn't exist when I was young. Frozen food was still fairly new.

Still, when the kids came along we at at fast food places a lot since they were so hospitable to kids. But, then, they also went to ethic restaurants and high end places too.

Don't remember when I stopped using the fast food pitstops. And I won't pretend I don't have a Carl's Jr. breakfast burger from time to time (a burger, a fried egg, hashbrowns and some of that cheese-like thing but BOY is it a good combination!). But once I stopped going, I found I really didn't miss them in the least.

Now the only time I go (other than those aforementioned occasional breakfast burger episodes) is to get a drink from the drive in window when I'm running a day's errands out and about. And paying $2 for an iced tea is enough to reinforce the adverse response.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a new one...cheeseburger in a can..

http://www.trekking-mahlzeiten.de/trekking-mahlzeiten-online-shop/produkte/Zwischenmahlzeiten_507/Cheeseburger_in_der_Dose_4641.html

'n a German man giving it a go..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQvDC6lXAY&feature=related

when I was young there was a lovely Chinese man who owned the local hamburger place..by golly did he ever make smashing burgers..we didn't have them often.....not many funds for extras..however every so often...

they were truly scrumptious..and light years from the fastfood stuff...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: