Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Washington, D.C.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Washington, D.C. Reply with quote

Will be leading a small Canadian invasion of the U.S. capital for a few days in May!! While we will be visiting with friends who are currently stationed in the city and will probably take care of most of our dining needs I'd love to have suggestions from my friends on this site. Will also be making another little visit to Boston so will be able to use some more of the very useful suggestions that were made on that thread!
David

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just arrived back from a little trip to Mordor! Washington is a fascinating city-----but wow, one could certainly use a GPS to get around.

Anyway, should anyone care for a few different treats when visiting I highly recommend www.afghangrill.com Had never had Afghani food before---a sort of blending of India and the Middle East i suppose--but totally delicious! Could not finish my main course, spinach and lamb over scented rice!

The other interesting venue is the cafeteria at the Smithsonian American Indian Museum. My friend Bill--who has haunted the smithsonians for years says most of the food in the cafeterias is garbage---but such is not the case here! The cafeteria is comprised of 5 or 6 different stations serving foods inspired by very different regions of the Americas, from the Northwest to Central America to South America and the Plains. Wonderful seasonal cooking with fresh fresh ingredients!!
Donna

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh David, I'm so glad you enjoyed DC! I spent many years in Northern Virginia as a child (Air Force brat) and have lovely memories of Washington. After I had lived and traveled in Europe for 5 years, my (then) husband and I returned to the states and spent a couple of weeks with my mom in Arlington. We were so proud to see that our nation's capitol compared pretty favorably with the European capitols. Not nearly as OLD of course, but even DC has Georgetown and it's charm. we ate seafood at the wharf and took a boat down the Potomac to Mt. Vernon. And hit every museum we could mamage - art, history, natural science...

Another great memory I have of DC is taking my son there and exploring it all with him. Seeing it through his eyes was another delight!

I understand that there are several very wonderful farmer's markets in DC nowadays. The Eastern Market - on Capitol Hill burned (partially) down a few months ago - but that was a national treasure! It had butchers, fishmongers, cheese shops, greenmarkets, flowers and a fleamarket all under one very lovely old Federal era roof.

And another trip to Boston! Wow! Glad to hear you are enjoying life! Laughing
David

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'd certainly consider visiting D.C. again Donna-----so much to see and I didn't even scrape the surface! As for the Eastern Market--it is only 4 blocks from where I was staying. It burned up the same week my friends Grant and John moved there. The city really got it's act together though and within weeks had a temporary market building erected so in many ways the Eastern Market is operating full tilt. The old market building was not destroyed entirely and will reopen within the next year.

Oh and I was corrected by another friend of mine about something. It is Afghan food not Afghani---Afghani is the currency!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: