Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Yves Saint Laurent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Yves Saint Laurent Reply with quote

that logo....

those eyes...that always seemed to be somewhere else...

here he is with it all ahead of him..

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/celebrity/la-et-bio-yslaurent.pg,0,1576849.photogallery?index=2

he hated school...loved Vogue magazine...

imagine him..early 20s conscripted to fight in Algeria..

along with the exquisite ability and vision...also came..other...

a deep sadness ...and that which he used to deaden the sadness...and whatever else it was that haunted him..

and those sketches!

where his spirit may be ...now...perhaps he has pen in hand...pencil in hand...again sketching...for the cosmos...

there's a photo from 1996 with Carla Bruni ..one of many models applauding Yves..and now....goodness me..life!

merci Yves...
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the dying season still. Yves St Laurent and apparently guitar maestro Bo Diddley too.

Both in their way giving something special and unique to the culture of we human beings. One clothed the body with the exquisite eye and feel almost of nature. Bullied by bigots for being gay - turning to drugs and alcohol as a result. One could almost forgive Yves for refusing to give our culture anything. Yet he created some of the finest and most beautiful designs ever. Oh the stupidity of sending men to kill and brutalise - after having bullied them for nothing much at all.

The other, making a square box guitar - being his own unique self to create a sound that was specific to him.

Wherever you are, Mortuis Libamur - Let us drink to the dead.
GiveMeSweets

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love his designs. Those pictures were really nice as well.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Madame. I was a huge YSL fan in the 60s had several pieces. I wish I had kept them all. I still have one jacket.
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was a huge YSL fan in the 60s had several pieces. I wish I had kept them all.

WAAAAAAHHH!! Cigalechanta!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Actually, somebody I spoke to had a lot of Biba in the 1970s and threw them away after she'd worn them. They, like YSL pieces from the 60s are now worth a lot. Sigh!
David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well cigalechanta you must wear it on our next date!! Very Happy
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, anyone who has any clothing from the past. Please, please, take it to your local museum or the nearest with a costume collection and offer it to them before you think of throwing them away.

Not just wedding dresses and baby clothes, which museums are constantly being offered, but a dress/shoes/trouser or skirt suits - menswear too - from the 60s or 70s or 80s. If you have anything before then - definitely museums would be interested.

These clothes are a historical record of what people were wearing from the times we've lived through. If you throw them away and they are destroyed - that history dies with them. Really, you are wearing history as much as being a part of it.

Cigalechanta,

You have so got to wear that YSL jacket to lunch with David! You'll have to get some new shoes to go with it too... I only wish I could come shoe shopping with you... sigh!
charlsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He certainly was a master designer. When so many "create" unwearable "things" (I couldn't even go as far as calling some of these creations clothes !), he truly created beautiful clothes that you could imagine wearing, or at least dream about wearing ! The lines, so clean, so unmuddled. When I compare him with Lagerfeld and his work for Chanel... One turns women into a mockery of a slutty courtisan, and the other sublimated womanhood.
And his use of color was so marvelous... I had the great good fortune to be able to buy (secondhand, but still) a pair of shoes from his line. Beautiful, simple, vibrant blue silk high heels with just a draped fold of material on top. I haven't worn them yet, they deserve a great occasion and a beautiful dress I still have to make... But I consider myself very fortunate indeed to have a little piece of YSL's inspiration sleeping in my closet...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.expatica.com/fr/articles/news/Friends-to-scatter-YSL-ashes-in-Morocco-on-Wednesday-.html

This is about his ashes.

I wish I had saved the navy velvet jacket ( at the time i sold them to a shop who sold gently worn designer duds to pay for my cats huge hospital bill)
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wearing one of my YSL scarves in his honor. My closet still has a navy blue velvety corduroy jacket that I had bought in the 80s. It still looks good, won't button for me now but will stay with me for a long time to come.

Adieu, Yves!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am wondering whatever happened to the Mary Quant claret-coloured jersey shirtmaker...long pointed collar...scrumptious to wear...

it went somewhere...

'n let's not even think about the navy scattered with tiny bunches of pale pink roses crepe de Chine dress...wait for it...it was below knee length...found it in a second hand shop in the '60s...guess who cut it so mini it would be...

a serious crime...bordering on mortal sinnish..methinks...

still thinking of Yves...and his spirit...perhaps now he is able to smile the wide sparkling-eyed smile of beyond...hugs

oh gals...WEAR the YSLs...WEAR THEM...'tis like keeping the best china in case the king visits...every day...enjoy the wonder of the designs...golly...even wear them sitting at the computer...methinks he'd enjoy that now...lighthearted times...let him know that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: