Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Pizza recipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countrygirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Pizza recipes Reply with quote

We have the brick oven and I have mastered the bases well using the correct type of flour but can anyone help me with the secret to really good pizza toppings. I know there are endless combinations but is this a case of less being more, and where exactly should the mozarella go.
ExpatSteve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Pizza Reply with quote

Hi there,
In my experience, less is better. Half a cup of fresh tomato sauce will do for the entire pizza. Or try peeling and seeding a fresh tomato or two and using cubes of fresh tomato in lieu of a cooked sauce. The mozzarella goes on top of the tomato sauce usually, but if you find the cheese burning before the crust is ready, try adding the mozzarella midway through the process.
One of my favorite pizza/pasta books is an old, probably out-of-print book called "Chez Panisse Pasta, Pizza & Calzone" which has lots of interesting and seasonal toppings for pizzas. How lucky you are to have your own brick oven!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with white pizza - it's very popular in my area and especially good from a brick oven.

Brush the crust with olive oil (no tomato sauce), top with minced garlic, caramelized onions, mozzarella, romano and other cheeses if you like - feta or dollops of ricotta are also good additions.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetbabyjames---you're taking me out for one of those on my next visit! It sounds fabulous!
countrygirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Countrygirl Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your comments. The brick oven is truely the best thing we have ever done and we have had lots of fun with young and old.
It is wonderful for roasts and casseroles, as well as bread and pizza. I can't wait to try white pizza.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, it is fabulous. And it's a date! I know just the place.
mandysu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: hooray for pizza! Reply with quote

Hmm, I haven't made pizza in *forever( (it isn't terribly convenient for a singleton).

Are you looking for more traditional fare, or are you an anything-goes California-style pizza eater? (I'm from CA, and, though the Hawaiian isn't my favorite, it amuses me to see people get offended by it!)

(And, if anyone here is like my midwest relatives, or even some of my immediate family, at least one of these suggestions will freak you out)

If you can find it, smoked mozzarella is exquisite, especially when layered with tomato sauce, a layer of fresh basil leaves, garlic, then a 50/50 blend of regular and smoked mozz (depending upon the intensity), sweet onions, shrimp, and perhaps some small bay scallops. This is my family's standby.

Smoked salmon (the hot-smoked fillet style) is excellent with garlic, fresh chopped tomatoes and rosemary and mozzarella. (The tomato cuts the saltness of the salmon beautifully)

This one is best with a whole wheat crust: use light sour cream with grated garlic instead of sauce, cheese (provolone, mozzarella, fontina, and/or parmesan), a load of mushrooms, parsley, and bacon (or not, if you've got one of those non-bacon-eating party poopers in your group--it'll still be good, just not *bacony* good).

Kinky (like a "Thai pie"): use a sweet chili sauce, mozzarella, red bell pepper, pineapple, green and/or purple onion, and cilantro. (Add chicken or shrimp if desired)

Kinky (in a less expected way): no sauce, mozzarella (or white cheddar, I suppose), red bell pepper, green onion, cilantro or parsley, and thinly sliced granny smith apple. Almonds (slivered or sliced) would also work well on this. I promise it's good.

I think mozzarella/parmesan/romano, sun dried tomatoes, black/nicoise olives, onions, green pepper, and thyme would work well too (alone, or with italian sausage, tuna and/or eggplant... or sub out the pepper and add walnuts...). I haven't done this, though (but, heck, if the components get along nicely in other dishes...)

I've also been kicking around an idea involving cocoa nibs (I think it needs a stronger and slightly sweetish cheese like gruyere or provolone, dried tomatoes or chiles, onions/shallots, and prosciutto/pancetta), but I've never gotten around to it.

I hope at least one of those tickles your fancy!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

countrygirl, I'll remind you of the topic you started last year on
Brick Ovens - do you have Russell Jeavon's fantastic book, Your Brick Oven?

His pizzas really were The Best! The book has other wood-oven recipes as well.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
princieprakash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: making pizza more tasty Reply with quote

well as if we all knows that.
pizza is the thing
which is world famous. the lovers of pizzas dont have any age
everyone simply loves to eat pizza.
but many one hardly knows that the favorite dish of their. tastes more good if tried with some spices like.
tomato sauce, mustard sauce, and with the Indian spices integrands..
it will add an additional taste to your favorite dish. Laughing Laughing
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a whole mess of ideas for pizza toppings.

http://80breakfasts.blogspot.com/2008/01/hhdd-17-pizza-round-up.html

"It's hot ham water."
La Niña del pimiento

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best pizzas I've had in my life, I actually made!

I used a dough that was made with half whole wheat flour and half regular, I added some chopped up rosemary to the dough as well. The toppings were:

Leftover homemade tomato sauce:
Olive oil and garlic
6-8 Vine or Roma Tomatoes seeds removed chopped up
Salt and Pepper
Basil finely diced
Red pepper flakes
* Cook the olive oil and garclic until toasty and fragrant, add
chopped up tomatoes and cook until the juices are released,
add salt and pepper, basil, and red pepper flakes, let it cook
down for about an hour, great on pasta and leftovers on pizza

Mozzarella di bufalo- i bought it at the market and sliced it up into rounds

Leftover ratotouille vegetables with a beaten egg:
eggplant
tomatoes
zucchini
garclic and parseley
salt and pepper
*everything diced circular and layered in a pot and cooked for
2 hours over low flame, makes a soup at first (good on a
cold day), but drain off the broth and beat with an egg to top
pizza.

Prosciutto di Parma- bought at the market, Boar's head is a good brand

Parmiggiano Reggiano- also bought at the market, look for the authentic rind

This was an AMAZING pizza, and my first one ever. I have traveled all over Italy and the only thing better I have had in Naples. Using the leftover ratotouille and tomato sauce that have been "slow cooked" is important as well as using homemade dough and high quality meat and chesses.
La Niña del pimiento

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]

here is a picture of the pizza! it looks a little messy, but all of the flavors melded so nicely[/img]
Claudia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Gorgonzola Pizza Reply with quote

Have been asking husband-person to build a brick over in our backyard for years (something else always comes up.) Love white pizza's all sorts. August's Taste of Italia magazine has a cover picture of a Gorgonzola Pizza with sundried tomatoes and walnuts. It looks like - summer. Not sure the family would want all gorgonzola - so may experiement and use a few other white cheeses. It's a case in point where where the picture makes me want to create the meal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: