Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Seattle in June!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asan16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle in June!!! Reply with quote

Hello Pesto Man,

My husband and I (both Frenchies) used to live in Seattle and you are in for a treat.

Naturally you have to go check out Pike Market Place, the fantastic farmer market that is going to look so beautiful with early summer products in June.

Here is our very best selection of great places to dine & wine in the Evergreen capital:

- Phoenicia on Alki (West Seattle) for a a Lebanon treat,
- Toyoda sushi on Lakecity Way for... super fresh sushis
- El Greco (Capital Hill) for brunch,
- Queen of Sheeba (Capitol Hill) for an Ethiopian experience,
- Flowers on "the Ave" (University Way) for an Argentinian steak and happy hours,
- Calypso for shrimp

and Ivars for a Pacific NW experience with at least 4 types of salmon on the menu,

oh and Chinook at Fishermen Terminal for delicious halibut fish & chips at lunch time.

You lucky man
Very Happy
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, guys...thanks!!!! my list of things to do and EAT is growing bigger daily.....so big, that I fear that my four day visit will in no way be able to fit the in!! (C.B. I know that IS the goal) Laughing

So far, my definates include the Pike Place Mkt. and one of the local Farmer's Markets (probably the Broadway on Sunday) THis will definately comprise the Bussman's holliday portion of the trip.

THe only other definate is the Science Fiction Hall of Fame and Museum

as far as food is concerned, my desire is to consume enough salmon to cause a strange desire to constantly swim upstream

Laughing Laughing Laughing
rachael24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi, you have a good list of places to go here. I especially love Monsoon and Green Leaf!
varnadore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: How did you like our fair city? Reply with quote

So pestoman did you enjoy your visit? Tell us what great things you did here.
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varnadore, thank you so much for asking, as I had I had a wonderful time and am dying to discuss it .

First off. I was impressed with the city itself, its passion for food, and commitment to local, sustainable agriculture. I was also impressed with its viable down-town area, and plethora of good eating options.(which by the way, all seem to be called a “grill “of some sort or another)

…and now on to the Specifics…. Our first full day was Sunday, and was taken up with my wife’s registration for her convention, a first turn around Pike Place Market. For the afternoon my Wife had a luncheon with one of her regular researchers at the Palamino http://www.palomino.com/index.php?locations=Seattle, , quite stylish, and enjoyed by her. While I took off to visit one of the numerous neighborhood farmer’s Markets Which I enjoyed greatly. http://www.seattlefarmersmarkets.org/. I also rendezvoused with a former customer and friend who had moved to the Seattle area just before Hurricane Katrina (lucky him). We repaired to a local tavern to catch up (Mac @ Jacks African Amber, Yummy) Later that afternoon we caught up with my wife and wandered back towards the Pike Place Market where we stopped in for a bite, at the Steelhead Diner http://steelheaddiner.com/ where I had fried cheese curds and a smoked salmon hash which washed down with another local brew, left me satisfied indeed. My wife still filled by her lunch just snacked on a ½ dozen local oysters which she enjoyed as well. We took another turn through the Pike Mkt. ending up at the Zig-Zag café http://zigzagseattle.com/ the cocktail lounge of my dreams for an excellent Martin (or 2) , then back to the hotel to recover from a very full day.

Monday, was the first full day of my Wife’s convention , during her first session, I scoped out potential lunch spots, which turned out be the Pike Brew Pub, http://www.pikebrewing.com/ where we had a wonderful fresh-caught salmon sandwich washed down with a pitcher with one of their local brews (kilt-lifter). After my wife’s afternoon session, we took refuge in the adjacent (to the convention center)Union Square Grill http://www.unionsquaregrill.com/ where we greatly increased our happiness with their wonderful progressive happy hour http://www.unionsquaregrill.com/pdf/Bar%20Food%20Oct%2029%202007.pdf Fortified, we set out via bus to meet our friend in the Freemont section where we really enjoyed a small plate meal at the aptly named http://www.artofthetable.net/ thus ended our second day…..for the rest or our adventure you will have to wait for the next thrilling installment of our thrilling adventure……..to be continued…….
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you didn't stay a few days longer for the Solstice Parade. You really would have found out how "free" Fremont really is. . . heehee.

I'll add my two cents to the account. I met Pesto Man and Pesto Wife in Pike Place Market on Wednesday and am happy to report that despite their superhero status both were quite down to earth. I found Pesto Man to be an absolute kick in the pants and Pesto Wife to be completely lovely. I am happy they came to the Emerald City.

"It's hot ham water."
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am happy they came to the Emerald City.

Does this make you Dorothy or the Wizard?... and do you have a little dog called Toto?... and the red sparkly shoes?

Must have been great to meet the Mighty Pestoman... sigh! A real live superhero and everything!
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounding like a fabulous time Pesto Man so please do give us the rest of the tour! And Erin, wonderful to see you here and able to play host in your own town once again!
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact Griff, I recently bought a pair of red patent leather flats, no sparkles just a buckle. My Toto is 85lbs, but he's little to me.

David, I am a much better host here than in New York. Maybe you should plan a trip to this fabulous town. I promise this time to be there.

"It's hot ham water."
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin,

The red patent leather flats sound fab. Here they sound like they would be called Mary Janes. I have no idea why, but presumably not after the euphemism for Marijuana!! I have a pair of glittery red stilettoes with a red leather twist that I bought because when I saw them I thought they were Dorothy shoes. At least your Toto won't get snaffled by the Wicked Witch of the West!

Maybe this means that Pestoman is the Wizard - a Pesto-Wizard as it were.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost Maryjane's, only the buckle is across the toe. They do remind me of Dorthy and complete a black ensemble very well.

"It's hot ham water."
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Erin, getting to meet you, and go through the Market on our last day, was one of the truly enjoyable portions of our trip, but I get ahead of my self………And NOW, THE THRILLING CONCLUSION, of our continuing Stooooooooorrrrrrrryyyyyyy wherein a humble Pesto maker and his lovely wife, visit the Emerald City to cool off and eat some really good food.

When last seen, our heroes had journeyed to the area of Freemont where they saw wondrous sights, ( a rocket, http://www.phoons.com/rocket2.html a troll, http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2236 and a Russian dictator) http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9056 ) and supped on a delightful meal of small courses in the aptly named Art of the table. One of the most memorable of these “little plate” courses was a mixture of local morel and porcini mushrooms served over polenta (as a true son and daughter of the American south we realized that this probably was the closest we would come to “grits” in the northwest. Whatever the terminology, it was delicious…..

The next day dawned wet, and cold ( 45 degrees brrrrrrr) and although, it did warm up, at around noon it still was almost 40 degrees cooler in Seattle than in New Orleans) . Taking advantage of a free coupon we received due to a very minor screw up checking in, we had very filling breakfast buffet including some amazing local strawberries. Thus fortified we headed out into the cold and wet to do a little more poking around and buying some gifts for family before returning to the Convention Center, where my wife had a presentation scheduled that afternoon. While she was giving her presentation, (oddly enough on the culinary heritage of New Orleans) I did a little more window shopping, and somehow ended up back @ the Union Square Grill just in time for happy hour, (imagine that,) so I partook, and indeed increased my happiness.

After her session, (which by all accounts went very well) we returned to the hotel refreshed briefly, and once again returned to the Zig Zag Café where, I was to meet Murray Stenson, aka “Murr the blur” http://playboy.com/style/a-list/bartenders/ one of the most acclaimed bartenders in American and certainly the most amazing I have ever seen. Murray has encyclopedic knowledge of cocktails and their origins, along with an unparalled technique and speed, which made sitting at his bar, a privilege and unique experience. For food we enjoyed sautéed calamari, pizza (house pie) and lamb burgers all excellent……as far as what I drank……lets just say it all gets a little hazy……

Returning to the hotel around midnight, I awoke the next morning surprisingly unimpaired, a testament to Murray’s skill and to the Zig Zag’s regular custom of serving a “water back” with each round For the last day of the convention, my wife had a morning business session followed by a luncheon sponsored by the agriculture and food sections of the Special Libraries Assoc. which I attended with her. The guest speaker was none other than “The Galloping Gourmet” Graham Kerr http://www.grahamkerr.com/gk.php His speech which dealt with the future of food and need for local sustainable, sources of food was “right up my alley” and not only enjoyable but inspirational.

After the luncheon, the convention was over , so we headed to the Seattle Center (via monorail!!) where we not only saw the space needle, but really enjoyed The Science Fiction Hall of Fame and museum http://www.empsfm.org/exhibitions/index.asp?categoryID=203 . After an enjoyable afternoon we returned to the hotel to prepare for our last evening in Seattle.

For our “Last supper” we decided on to return to the Union Square Grill where we enjoyed a really fabulous “prix fixe” menu highlighting local ingredients http://www.unionsquaregrill.com/cri_farmfresh/ All in all a truly memorable meal which included a meeting with the chef and a compped extra appetizer course presented to us because of our regular patronage over the last 3 days.

The next day (Thursday) was indeed our last indeed our last in the Emerald City, but as out plane did not leave until that afternoon we were able have one last adventure this time with C&Z regular Erin who met us at the Pike Place market, and took us to a delightful truly French style bakery le Panier http://www.lepanier.com/ .followed by a enjoyable visit and wander around the market. Alas, even the best of times must end, and we had to return to the hotel, check out, and head home.

Aside from being an hour late, the return was uneventful and while happy to be home, really look back on the trip with fondness, and hope soon to return
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to Union Square Grill tonight as a Last Supper of sorts before Phil returns to work and I begin my job hunt. I can't wait!

"It's hot ham water."
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, when I checked the Union Sq. Farm-fresh menu today, It looks like
Copper River Salmon is back on the menu......ENJOY.....and be sure to report back!!!!!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesto Man, I enjoyed reading this so much! Didn't know Graham Kerr was still alive-- Embarassed --not just alive but spreading food intelligence, how nice! And I laughed to read that "Murr the Blur" makes drinks called "The Liberal" and "The Last Word"--definitely something to chug er guzzle er sip while I watch USA politics this fall. The democratic process, yes all the yakking, is dear to my heart. The drinks sound complicated but reeeeefreshing for thirst/travel/boredom/bruises...
And what fun, science fiction-- time travel and robots falling in love.
One question -- you said "Around noon it was still 40 degrees cooler in Seattle than in New Orleans"--did you think that was a good thing, or a bad thing?

Erin--your job hunting--does that mean restaurant, catering, personal chef? Do you have a preference, or dream job? I wonder about your doggie, is he accustomed to apartment living?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: