Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Crab Won Tons with Peach Gastrique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Crab Won Tons with Peach Gastrique Reply with quote

Just got back from our annual sojourn on North Carolina's Outer Banks. Fishing was OK. But the crabbing was really spectacular. Had crab everyday, in every way. And came up with this variation of Crab Rangoon y'all might like:

Crab Won Tons with Peach Gastrique

1 lb crab meat
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tbls broad leaf parsley, minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 egg, beaten
5-6 glugs hot sauce
1 tbls prepared horseradish
Old Bay seasoning to taste
4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
Oil for frying
Half package (more or less) won ton wrappers
Peach gastrique

Combine the payo, parsley, eggs, hot sauce, horseradish, Old Bay and cream cheese until well blended. Add the crab meat and bread crumbs and fold in gently until mixed well.

Put a heaping teaspoonful of the mixture in the center of a won ton wrapper. Brush two edges of the won ton with water and fold in half, point to point, to make a triangle. If desired, fold-in the other points.

Fry the won tons in hot oil luntil browned and crisp. Drizzle each serving with some of the peach gastrique

Peach Gastrique

1 cup peach cider
Scant 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbls sugar

Combine ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to boil, lower heat, and reduce at a fast simmer until syrupy.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine having a plate of this in front of you! I know I'd have to cut down on the hot sauce, but otherwise I'd be in heaven. Is this for/from your research on "small plates"?

Peach cider? Is it homemade? Alcoholic like hard apple cider?
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Ginger, it has nothing to do with that project. Just had to come up with another way of using up all the crabs we were catching.

The peach cider is an interesting tale. On the way to the Outer Banks there's a large family farm store called Morris Farm Market. We always stop there, both for fresh produce and because the usually have value added products not found anywhere else.

This time it was fruit ciders. Non-alcoholic. Like apple cider. Among those we saw were peach, strawberry, blackberry, and blueberry. I'd never seen these before. Bought a bottle of the peach, and used it to create the gastrique.

On the way home we stopped and picked up two more bottles, just to have, even though Morris does sell mail order (www.MorrisFarmMarket.com. And Friend Wife grabbed a bottle of the blueberry as well.

So, ok. Next day we stop for lunch, and there's an Amish market next door to the restaurant. We go in to browse and waddayaknow. A whole rack of fruit ciders. No peach, there. But all the others.

So I'm wondering if fruit ciders are going to be the next hot thing? We'll know for sure when Emeril says, "available at any market." Laughing
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I know I'd have to cut down on the hot sauce<

Maybe not, Ginger.

Friend Wife doesn't do hot. And she thought these were perfect. But no big deal if you cut it down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: