Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Sauces for pommes-frites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chucha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Sauces for pommes-frites Reply with quote

I'm spending quite a bit of time in Brussels these days and have a question for those more knowledgeable than I. The fritteries all have a wide array of sauces to accompany their tasty golden fries, but I am at a loss trying to decipher what the differences are between the sauces (andalouse, americaine, samurai, pili pili, tartare, etc.) . There are so many of them, and as I can't be eating frites every day, I would like to know what they each contain so I can make the best choice when I indulge in some golden goodness. Most of the descriptions I've seen for the various sauces are limited to "spicy" or "not spicy," but I'd like to know a bit more about the nuances and specific ingredients. Any belgians or fritephiles out there who can enlighten me? Also, any particular recommendation you may have would be most welcome! merci!
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmigod chucha---I envy your dilemma! And what do you mean you can't eat frites every day??? Very Happy
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauce and scroll down to the listing under "examples of sauces."

If the ones you want aren't listed there, you can always google them individually. But I think you'll find most of what you're looking for in that list.
chucha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know David-- it is a pretty sweet dilemma to have! If I have too many though i get into food coma pretty quickly, so I have to pace myself!

I report that today I tried the sauce andalouse-- it was tomato-pepper-aioli and one of the few sauces that I'd found a good description for online. It was ok (much better than ketchup!), but I need something with more kick- next time I will try either the Samurai or the Pili Pili, both of which I've seen described as hot, though i don't really know the difference between them.

KYH, thanks for the wiki list. I've actually spent an inordinate amount of time poking around the internet investigating these belgian frites sauces but have unfortunately not turned up a good "sauce glossary."

From McSweeny's here is a partial list of some of the sauce options:Peppersaus, Proven├žal, Curry, Americain, Andalouse, Pickels, Samourai, Tartaar, Stoofvleessaus, Looksaus, Mammoetsaus, Gele Bickysaus. Perhaps I'll mosey on over to my local fritterie and jot down the full list.
kitchensqueen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good old LaRousse Gastronomique should have descriptions for most of theses sauces. When in doubt, always check the bible of cooking!
Evelien

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: French fries need mayonaise Reply with quote

I am a true Belgian girl and I know how to eat my fries. All these sauces in the friteries are rubbish. Believe me. The only acceptable sauces are mayonaise and tartare. The rest is additives and colorants.
DevilFunk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evelien is quite right when she says mayonnaise & tartaar-sauce are the most proper choices, especially when the friterie has homemade tartaar-sauce at hand. Nonetheless, as a true belgian I feel myself obliged to describe the whole range a bit more in detail.

Ranged by popularity;

-Mayonnaise - eggs, salt, vinegar, oil & typically belgian; a hint of mustard
-Tartaar-sauce - mayonnaise with oignons, chervil, parsley
<>Homemade tartaar-sauce can range from the 'classic' tartare-sauce to gribiche-sauce, consult 'L'Escoffier'
- Andalouse-sauce - mayonnaise with tomatopaste & green and red bell peppers
- Americaine-sauce - mayonnaise, tomato, chervil, oignons, capers & celery
- Mammoet-sauce - mayonnaise, tomato, oignon, glucose, garlic, soy-sauce
- Samurai-sauce - mayonnaise with sambal oelek
- Stoofvlees-sauce (stew-sauce) - oignons, thyme, laurel, mustard, any brown beer, beef(extract) (usually ordered together with some mayonnaise)
- 'Special'-sauce - mayonaise + ketchup + freshly chopped oignons
- Pickles-sauce - vinegar, cauliflower, pickles,
- Bicky Dressing/ Gele Bicky-sauce (one of three sauces made for the Bicky-burger, the burger sold in friteries all over the country) - mayonnaise, white cabbage, tarragon, cucumber, oignon, mustard, dextrose (preerably to be ordered with mayonnaise!)
- Peper-sauce - mayonnaise with green pepper, garlic, glucose
- Look-sauce - mayonnaise with garlic
- Curry-sauce (name explains it, ask it to be hot and once again ask for some mayonnaise as well)

A lot of belgians ask for sate-spices on their fries as well, which is mainly a mixture of dried peppers.

A little off-topic, but fries usually don't get ordered without a snack to go with. The most classic are mussels either in vinegar or in tartare-sauce, pickled hareng & boiled eggs. Nowadays they don't get ordered so often anymore though. The most popular snack is the curry-worst (= curry-sausage), which is basically chicken separator-meat with wheat and spices. Then there's the meatballs. And last but not least; the cervela, which is basically a sausage with a strong garlic-taste. They sell many other snacks, but only these are really worthwhile, when indulging in our world-famous 'fast food'-tradition.

Why we are so famous about the 'frietjes' Even the French admit we invented them! And we bake them twice, as you can read here
[url] http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Belgian-Fries

And please, do not confuse kebab-places with friteries/fritkoten/frituur! [/url]
David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant DevilFunk! Thanks for the rundown from an insider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: