Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Your most reliable blogs for recipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
famdoz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Your most reliable blogs for recipes Reply with quote

what are your fave blogs for sure-fire culinary successes? there are some blogs that are nice to read but the recipes given don't work and some blogs can be dry or annoyingly written with gun recipes.

Some favourites of mine are 'la tartine gourmande' - i ve made 5 or so recipes and they were all delicious and pretty (the photos on this blog are stunning) and 'orangette' (some simple yet tasty recipes successfully passed to my table).

What are your winner blogs?

I also SWEAR BY 'cakes in the city' for the best baking recipes, but it is in french.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is of course the obvious C&Z, her recipes are elegant, solid and creative something that does not often go hand in hand.

Then there is Burnt Lumpia, which has a mixture of culture and innovation that make it one of my absolute favorite blogs. I also think Marvin and my husband were separated at birth. http://burntlumpia.typepad.com/burnt_lumpia/

101 Cookbooks is another favorite of mine, although I think sometimes she her recipes could be a little more streamlined. That is not to say they aren't totally solid and are always incredibly delicious.

Miss Ginsu is one I am new to and I am totally sunk. She makes the food everyone wants to eat whether they knew it or not.

There are so many more that I love, but these are the ones I really use.

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been happy with anything from Alton Brown--his recipes are found on the Food Network site, his TV show is called Good Eats. And I enjoy a blog called FX Cuisine. http://fxcuisine.com/

Recipes in other languages....I've found that Google translations are pretty good--here are some instructions in French from "Cakes in the City"

Préparer la pâte à l'aide d'un robot. Mélanger le beurre, le sucre et la poudre d'amande. Ajouter l'ouf, puis la farine. Former une boule et réserver pendant une demi-heure au réfrigérateur.

That crazy Babelfish gave me this:
To prepare the paste with l' d' helps; a robot. To mix butter, sugar and the powder d' almond. To add l' egg, then flour. To form a ball and to reserve during half an hour with the refrigerator.

But Google gave me this:
Prepare the dough using a robot. Mix butter, sugar and almond powder. Add the egg, then flour. Form a ball and set aside for half an hour in the refrigerator. Much clearer.
Rachel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, C&Z obviously...! I use it for recipes far more than any other blog, and have yet to be disappointed. My second favourite is C'est moi qui l'ai fait, which is in French, and although I've not used it nearly as much, I've been very pleased with everything I've tried so far (especially the curried sweet potato soup with coconut milk).
http://scally.typepad.com

For baking, I like Coco&Me - it's the blog of a lovely woman who runs a cake-and-chocolate stall at Broadway Market. Having tasted her wares on several occasions, I know I can trust her recipes (I used her wedding cake recipe when I did a friend's wedding cake in April), and I like the fact that she explains the science behind the steps - very helpful and interesting.
http://www.cocoandme.com

I also love David Lebovitz's blog, and his recipes look very tempting, but... thus far I haven't managed to try a single one! Perhaps this public confession will finally shame me into doing so? Wink
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale wrote:
And I enjoy a blog called FX Cuisine. http://fxcuisine.com/

I love FX Cuisine too. Great photos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: