Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Grilling Veggies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GiveMeSweets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Grilling Veggies Reply with quote

Anyone like grilled vegetables? I just had them and I think I'm in love Laughing
mandysu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck yeah! Smile

Grate some garlic into olive oil, and rub on sliced zucchini (I usually slice it lengthwise, ~1/4" thick so you can handle it with tongs and not have it fall through the grill). Sprinkle with a little salt, and grill over a reasonably hot fire until done. I'm not sure how somehting so simple can be so great, but it has always gotten rave reviews!

If you like, slice some medium-large onions into wedges, leaving the peel on, and slicing into 6ths through the base--this keeps it together, and also gives a bit of a barometer, as the peel should turn black before the onion is cooked. It's easy enough to cut off the ends and peel of each wedge on your plate.

I have fond memories of CA summer evenings, and roasting poblanos, Anaheims, bell peppers, onions, zucchini, and whatever else we could toss on the bbq (ostensibly to not heat up the house, but the results were good enough to justify themselves...)
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love 'em.

Tony Lia, former chef at The Stinking Rose, was kind enough to share his marinade with me, and I usually grill veggies---all sorts; mushrooms, onions, squashes, peppers---by using it. It also works incredibly well with fruits. In fact, used it last night to grill pineapple, plums, peaches, and necterines to have with the baby backs.

Tony Lia's Grilled Veggie Marinade

1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbls sugar
2 tbls chopped garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup olive oil
Fresh herbs to taste, chopped (note: for veggies I use basil and parsley. For fruit I add some fresh chopped mint as well).

Combine vinegar, sugar, garlic, pepper and paprika over low heat. Cooked until reduced by half. Add an equal amount of extra virgin olive oil and the fresh herbs.

Soak veggies 15-20 minutes before grilling. As they grill brush with additional marinade.
wdillsmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have grilled asparagus all the time in the summer. I don't really like boiled asparagus, but grilled it is really good. Just hold both ends and bend them to snap off the extra stalk, then coat with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Grilling should only take about 5 minutes, depending on how well done you like it. In the winter I'll use the indoor grill, or roast them at 500 degrees.
tuacolumba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really use recipes, but i love grilled veggies! I use this great grilling video for ideas and it has some awesome ones! Pineapple as desert, a mushroom instead of a burger. Y'all should check this out!

Last edited by tuacolumba on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
srk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomatoes grill particularly well - they sort of melt and caramelize and turn into irresistible goo. I slice them thickly, place the slices on an improvised aluminum foil tray, and sprinkle them with salt, fresh-cracked pepper, and sometimes an herb or two (try oregano) or a bit of parmesan cheese. They're done when the pools of juice start to brown/blacken around the edges.

Actually, my favorite grilling trio is a hunk of tri-tip (does this exist on the East Coast? What is it called here?), tomato, and corn on the cob, grilled in its husk. The tri-tip is great with just a little bit of soy sauce and some salt and pepper. Mmm...I need to buy a new grill...
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the grilled tomatoes, so delicious. Try them with a dollop of herbed Greek yogurt, it's to die for.

"It's hot ham water."
bainst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love grilled eggplant. I had it for the first time five months ago when my boyfriend made it for me and served it with seared tuna steaks and grilled peppers. That's why I'm keeping him. Wink
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite pleasures of summer! I use a marinade similar to the one KYHeirloomer posted, and use chunks of eggplant, zucchini and/or yellow squash, purple onion, roma tomatoes, button mushrooms & green or red bell pepper. Toss veg & marinade in a zip-lock bag for a few hours, grill & serve with bulghur pilaf, couscous, rice...I can easily be happy with grilled veg for the entire meal!
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, forgot to preview above message. Veggie Kababs.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the zippy-bag-marinade thing going all summer long, just like brighidsdaughter-

pureed garlic
olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
one fresh herb of choice
sometimes balsamic vinegar, sometimes white wine (or citrus juice)
lemon, sliced about 1/4 " thick (or lime)

chunked or thickly sliced veggies:

Walla Wallas or Vidalias
steamed and partially cooked beets (awesome grilled!)or Yukons
mushrooms
zucchini
eggplant
bell, pasilla or Anaheim peppers
broccoli (oh, yeah, its good!)
asparagus
jicama
green beans
sweet cherry tomatoes

I like to use a grill basket- a mesh one if you can find it- it helps everything color more evenly and the goodies don't fall through the grill.

I also do grill the lemon slices separately- lay them over the heat and turn them until very dark colored- they change from sour to sweet like candy as the sugars caramelize. I then quarter them up and stir them into the final dish. Its a nice surprise and they are kind of fun to taste here and there.

Bainst, nice to see you again! Smile
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting here on a very cold, wet winter day reading this topic and looking forward to summer.

One question - Jen, what are Walla Wallas or Vidalias?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Judy,

Walla Walla is a town in Washington State that grows a huge, mild and sweet onion. Hardly as sweet as a Vidalia from Georgia (which is sugary and oniony in an odd, yummy sort of way), but great for folks who do not care for the bite. They both make for good grillin- easy to caramelize or roast up in tin foil over coals.

Stay warm!!! Summer's comin'!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see, thanks Jen. I know where Walla Walla is in WA, and we have a town by the same name here in Australia, in New South Wales.

I've just found another culinary/cultural difference between the US and Oz. Here we just have white, brown and red onions, we don't make further distinctions between them, as far as I know. I'd love to try a Vidalia - they sound yum!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
birgit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all time favorite is eggplant slices, brushed with oil and with addition of some garlic: grilled and layered with mozzarella slices and fresh basil, a little olive oil and a few turns of the pepper mill, served in a piece of crusty ciabatta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: