Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Counting down to Paris and London

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Counting down to Paris and London Reply with quote

35 days until Paris and London!
(This is my first trip to anywhere in Europe, so I'm really excited.)
If anyone has any suggestions on where to get some really good food for not a huge amount of money (in either city), I'd really appreciate it. Also, does anyone know: Where to get a really nice cup of tea? See a chocolate fountain? Find the best croissant?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for your help!
¬óJosephine
Sir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Tea and food in London Reply with quote

As for a nice high tea that's not overly expensive, I'd suggest the Park Lane Hotel, which is on Park Lane (surprise!) at Green Park. It's a really nice room, they serve delicious sandwiches and little sweet somethings and costs are around GBP 19. If you want it more expensive, go down the street to the Ritz and be pampered. Anyway, in St.James's, you can find lots of hotels that offer high tea, but you have to spend GBP 25 and above. I also had very nice lunch at a small pub off Park Lane (in Brick Lane, there's also kind of a small market square there) - it's simple, but very good. Have fun!
Miss Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Counting Down to Paris & London Reply with quote

For a good value feed I think Fairuz is a good place (for lebanese food) - and also they serve you up so much that we never order starters. There is a place called the Providores (run by a NZ-er) on Marylebone High Street which is also wonderful. Is there a particular cuisine you have in mind? Am happy to help further Smile
chezgle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Tea in Paris Reply with quote

Mariage Freres is the place to go for tea. They have an outstanding Sunday brunch too, replete with delicious tea-based cocktails. Book a few days in advance for that. I prefer the location in the Marais, on rue Bourg Tibourg. There's one on the Champs-Elysees, and others too, I think. If you phone for a reservation, be *absolutely certain* you specify which location because it seems that reservations for all locations are handled centrally and the default location is the Champs-Elysees.

No need to reserve for an afternoon tea, though. (I think!)
chezgle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Pain au chocolat Reply with quote

I forgot to mention Gerard Mulot. I was very fortunate to live 300m from there for 2.5 years. The croissants are perfect, but the pain au chocolat are better.
LibbyR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about a chocolate fountain, but the best place to get a seriously good hot chocolate is Angelinas, on rue de Rivoli, opposite the Tuileries. Followed closely by the HC at one of my favourite chocolate shops, Charles Chocolatier, in rue Montegeuil in the 2nd. Further up rue Montegeuil is Stroher, the oldest boulangerie in Paris, and worth a visit for the great patisserie. And around the corner is G. Detou, mentioned by Clotilde in her blog.
Samantha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: London Reply with quote

I can recommend many places in London... Cafe in the Crypt for a good, inexpensive lunch and tea. Wagamama for noodles. Belgo for mussels and great beer. High tea at Harrods is a classic, I recommend it for the sheer extravagence... and I love the tomato and cream cheese sandwiches. There's a superb vegetarian restaurant, The Gate, that is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. For a splurge, try Jamie Oliver's Fifteen... yum yum. Let me know if you need more suggestions!

Samantha

(thesamanthafilesATyahooDOTcom)
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha,

I am dying to go to Fifteen, unfortunately my trip to London isn't for a while. What is the menu like? What was your favorite?

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josephine ~ have the most wonderful journey...don't blink, for if you do you'll miss something exquisite!

ditto Angelinas...'tis a marvellous spot!
Samantha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Fifteen in London Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

AS for Fifteen... it was wonderful. I have my menu at home, I'll have to post what we had. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: