Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Romantic Evening in the City of Light for two and a half.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew le Gourmand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing isn't it?

Someone I have never met and am unlikely to ever meet talks about the loss of a partner & how to remember them & it hits me almost as much as if a close friend were telling me.

Is it this forum? Do we feel an attachment to the others here because we connect on at least one level, the love of food?

I hope you feel you can share the quilt when it's finished but I am sure we will all understand if it's too personal.
David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Andrew! Thank you for the warm sentiments. When Frank gets the quilt going I'll certainly find a way so we can all partake---he is a beginning quilter though and is working his way up to "the big project".

And as far as connectedness with the fine people here (and a number who have come and gone over the years) well, I never believed in "on-line community" until C & Z!! I won't name names simply because I would inevitably forget someone precious but a number of the people here have endured me sharing my life's ups and downs (the thread on planning Dick and my wedding buffet was great fun--and on the day of--we were toasted grandly on four continents!) and have even sent food parcels!! In turn I've enjoyed partaking ever so minutely in their lives and shared their joys and commiserated with their sorrows. But YES it is, after all, about food---but what human rite of passage does not include food??
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, as Frank is a beginner quilter, there is a quilter's blog that may help.

http://purpleandpaisley.blogspot.com/

Terri is very helpful and I am sure would be happy to give advice if needed. She's based in Illinois. Her blog also has some fab pictures of quilts that may give an idea for patterns.
David

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dear Griff--will surely pass it along.
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This message is for David -- apologies to the general group, but I've had a PM stuck in my Outbox for 3 days now that doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and David's personal email address box is full. David, if you see this, please contact me. I've got some quilting info that I'd like to pass along.

thanks...georgia
David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Georgia---just letting you know I received your PM just fine. Don't understand how my box could be full---but such are the wonders of these machines!
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. Problem solved. Smile
Andrew le Gourmand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my plans are shaping up.
2 weeks with very dear friends in the Charente-Maritime d├ępartement sandwiched round a week in Paris.
We will take the TGV because my little angel is crazy about trains and I think she'll love it.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
My only regret is that I won't make it to the south, which I adore but, c'est la vie.
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, if you can bear to have one more suggestion - this isn't really for a romantic dinner (the decor at this place is a little too no-frills for romance) but I would feel remiss in not recommending L'Ourcine to you. It's a small chef's bistro in the 13th and I had one of the best meals I've ever had in Paris there... can't recommend any specific dishes as they change the menu regularly, but you'll be in good hands if you go. And it's definitely family-friendly - when I was there several families with small children (ranging from tiny baby to about 8 years old) were dining and the staff were as accommodating as could be.

Have a lovely time, don't get stuck in the Marais Poitevin... Wink
Andrew le Gourmand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel,

I am delighted to have one more suggestion & a Bistro serving excellent food sounds like a perfect setting for romance: I have my partner & we could find romance in a Mc Do but this sounds eminently more suitable.

It has been said that the important thing is the food (which is true) and that ambiance, therefore, doesn't matter (which is not). My wife & I both love the ambiance of a bistro. I had a look at some of the reviews & it looks like my fave resto in Montreal, le Jolifou. We will certainly have to go.

By the way, I had to look up Marais Poitevin I may have to hire a barque and have a dekko.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: