Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

the Catherine pear..'n named foods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: the Catherine pear..'n named foods Reply with quote

Found myself browsing our big dictionary this morn...a really truly book! for a change none of this online dictionary business...the joy of turning pages

Came across 'Catherine pear'...thought those two words looked lovely together..

A little research:

"For streaks of red were mingled there, Such as are on a Catherine pear"
--Sir John Suckling (1609-1642), "I Prithee Send Me Back

'n from soupsong.com:

Native to Europe and Asia, pears were first cultivated in prehistory, as evidenced in the remains of the lake dwellers. But the ancient Phoenicians, Jews, and pre-Christian Romans talked about them--and grew several improved sorts. Pliny, in the 1st century AD, lists some 41 varieties; Palladius (4th century Roman poet/agriculturalist), some 56. By the renaissance, the list was up to 209 (Grande Duke Cosimo III in Italy), although only some 60 were known in Britain in the mid 17th century.

'n oh the names of pears!

Bishop thumb, swan's egg, Winter swan's egg, Chaumontelle, citron de Charmers, Rousselet Enfant Prodigue, paternoster, and tombe de l'amateur..and so many many more.

I got to thinking ..a name and a food...umm?

the Joan cream methinks..or should that be the madameshawshank cream!...simply HAD to be dairy..

and your good self? your name and a food...
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chocolat au Griffin methinks. A fabled confection involving dark intense chocolate infused with champagne and raspberries. The Honey Omelette I made by mistake could be the Fabulous Mistake.

Tho' Catherine Pear does sound like a woman in a novel. 'Catherine Pear Goes Bananas' perhaps? Or the 'Marvellous Adventures of Catherine Pear'.

I liked the somewhat unfortunate Tombe de l'amateur. Beginners luck didn't quite go to plan there.

Sir John Suckling of course was the inventor of the Roasted Suckling Pig. As indeed was the Earl of Sandwich the inventor of the sandwich and Michel De Baguette the inventor of the Baguette... possibly.
minty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well, we have loads in French : I can think of the reine-claude (a plum ), the madeleine (little cake), the tarte Tatin , the Paris Brest (not after someone, but after a cycling race)... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: