Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Chocolate Guru

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Guru Reply with quote

Robert Steinberg died last week. Don't recognize his name? Along with his business partner John Scharffenberger (bet you recognize his name!), he was responsible for much of the revolution in the chocolate industry in the United States.

David Lebovitz penned a very nice tribute in his blog, if you are interested. At any rate, the next time you buy a bar of Scharffenberger chocolate, think kind thoughts and give silent thanks to visionaries of all types!
bainst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who works to improve and perfect my first love will always have my respect.
srk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most interesting aspects of his story (as I recall from several visits to the Scharffenberger factory in Berkeley) is that he went into the chocolate business when he was first diagnosed with the illness he just died of. At the time, the doctor told him he had six months or two years or some similarly short period of time left, and he chose to go to France and learn to make chocolate. When he outlived his initial prognosis, he started Scharffenberger.

I have immense respect for someone who can follow his passions like that.
Comet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bainst"]Anyone who works to improve and perfect my first love will always have my respect.[/quote]

I'm with you on that one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: