Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Eating out in Adelaide, South Australia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mel p
I totally agree with you, about the dumbing down of export products. I will hold off on ascending my soap box and just say that I have met many Australians none of whom looked or acted like Crocodile Dundee. Do they really have one named "kangaroo paddock"?

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once heard of a swimwear manufacturer who made swimsuits under two different labels and marketed one in the top retail outlets and the other in the bargain stores. Same swimsuit different prices. Well some wineries do the same, especially for supermarkets. I never buy my wine in supermarkets, but hey , I won't get on my soapbox on that subject.
mel p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erin,

I hope not! I have seen plenty plenty naff names though. Just couldn't think of one off the top of my head. I'm interested in what reach what wines have, but find it hard to pony up lots of money when I know what that wine would cost in Aus.

So I don't buy Australian wine over here, but am learning all about European ones, as that is where I am. Our household has a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic wine merchant whom we visit often. After all, what supermarket offers tastings? Wink
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to moving to Australia in 1973 my wine tastes ran to Kelowna Berry Cup, Wild Duck and Manishewicz (sp?) But my boss in Melbourne was a real wine drinker and he got me quite enthused about "real" wine and I have a fond spot in my heart for Aussie wines to this day. We get a decent selection here although they can be a bit pricey. If I had to choose a favourite it would probably be the Wolf Blass line.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time spending a lot for west coast wine living on the east coast. The prices are so much higher and there aren't any import taxes!

"It's hot ham water."
dadegroot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
Judy,
Can you recommend any of these Australian wines to me? We have been partial to Penfolds and a few others that escape me now. I have a pretty good idea about the wine culture down there from reading, it's just the tasting experience that is a little lacking.

I couldn't not reply to this post Smile

We used to live 30 mins drive from the Barossa in South Australia, and did frequent "winery runs".

My personal favourites are:

Jenke - Cabernet Sauvignon - Must be accompanied by a thick medium rare steak for the full benefit.

Jenke - Shiraz - A good drinking wine, full bodied, spicy.

Bethany - Late Harvest Reisling - A deliciously sweet white that goes oh so well with spicy Asian foods.

Elderton - Riverina Botrytis Semillon - a dessert wine, rich golden colour, quite sweet, undertones of treacle, apricot and figs.
http://www.eldertonwines.com.au/home.php?content=vintages_selected&id=10

Grant Burge - Frontignac - Another sweet white. The 2000 - 2003 vintages were the best, the last one I tried (2005) wasn't quite up to the same standard.

There are various others I'm quite happy to drink, but this is my pick of the Barossa. (and unfortunately you're unlikely to find them outside of South Australia).
emilyj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as wine goes it all depends on your taste and price-range. I really like Annies Lane which is a Clare valley wine- they have a good riesling and their Old vine shiraz is to die for, I bought a bottle at the cellar door in 2001 from their 1998 vintage, not sure if they still make it though. Their copper trail shiraz is also supposed to be very good (I can't afford it myself- $70 a bottle is a bit steep I find!) I grew up very near the Barossa and went to school there so I am a bit biased when it comes to their wines. Elderton's reds and Turkey Flat Rose are very nice Rockfords is also very good but also very pricey. D'Arenberg is nice - they are in McClaren Vale South of Adelaide- I like their Footbolt Shiraz and High Tree Cab Sav they also do some cheaper ones which are reasonable. I quite like Hewitson as well- not sure where they are from (I think Barossa). My relatives from the UK always stock up when they come over here because they can't get a lot of the rarer wines there and, as Erin pointed out, a lot of the wineries have different labels for exporting.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd revisit this topic 'cos friends of mine got a great review for their restaurant, Bistro Dom, in the Weekend Australian last weekend ..

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24495812-5010800,00.html

I love their restaurant - you might think about visiting it when you're here in January, Barbara, although they're only open Mon-Fri during the day. Oh, and they have just started doing dinner on Friday nights too.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude I saw that in the paper on the weekend and had decided to make a booking as it sounds delightful. Thanks.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The November issue of Delicious has a little booklet with Cafe Recipes from favourite cafes all over Australia. Ben and Dominika who run Bistro Dom have scored well in the SA section - there's a recipe from Bistro Dom, and one from Duthy St Deli, which they started and then sold to the current owners.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: