Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

NOVEMBER '08 DISCUSSION: Do You Wear An Apron When You Cook?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do You Wear An Apron When You Cook?
YES, I put it on the minute I walk into the kitchen.
26%
 26%  [ 12 ]
YES, but only if I'm doing something messy.
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
NO, and I often pay for it, so I really should.
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
NO, I'm a tidy cook.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
NO, I hate aprons.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 46

clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: NOVEMBER '08 DISCUSSION: Do You Wear An Apron When You Cook? Reply with quote

This month's discussion is built around a poll!

I myself voted NO, and I often pay for it. I like to walk in and out of the kitchen to stir the stew and then go back to other things, so I prefer to wear normal clothes. But every once in a while, said normal clothes get a splatter of sauce and I'm mad at myself -- I need to try and switch at least to "YES, if I'm doing something messy."

What about you? Please check the answer that applies, and post a reply to tell us more about the apron situation in your kitchen.

Last edited by clotilde on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonquil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i am working with simple batters (cakes, biscuits, muffins) then i don't wear an apron. anything with grease or requiring major 'whipping' (egg whites) i pop one on. i still have 2 aprons of my maternal grandmother, which i am planning on framing one of these fine days (like one would a vintage hawaiian shirt).
Penelope

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprons especially set the mood for me to bake. They help to 'center' the experience for me and keep me present in the moment.

As someone who does custom sewing for others, it occurred to me that aprons could serve as a way to embrace traditions. So, I've made aprons for all our our kids and grandkids (believing wholeheartedly that every man should know how to cook and enjoy it!) using old embroidered table cloths from my mother-in-law and grandmother that had some compromising spots or stains for the girls and women , and color coordinated ones for the men in their lives..........keeps the memories alive!
He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves. Gabriel Garcia Marquez
David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penelope! I must say i admire your philosophy! And your dedication to it.

I on the other hand relish in an uncheffly (okay I made the word up) mess. Like the surgeons of old who announced their expertise by wearing the bloody gore from their patients I similarly announce to the world that i am hot in the kitchen by arriving in the living room besmeared and besmirched with dough, flour, gravy, splashes of oil and cream etc. etc..! Dick would just shake his head and roll his eyes and suggest I clean up my mess, Ben however is threatening me with a Yuletide apron (but I will foil his plans my friends, yes I will!!)
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear an apron all the time. In the kitchen that is. I got out of the habit for a while, but ended up ruining six shirts beyond repair in one week.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 shirts in one week!! Erin!!! Trying to establish a new Guiness book of Records category??????
msue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several nice aprons, including one given to me with my name embroidered across the front. My favorite, though, is a smock-like apron made for me by my grandmother maybe 30 years ago.

Nevertheless, I rarely wear an apron except for holiday meals - perhaps it is to evoke precious memories of family holidays of yesteryear.
MavenMamma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Maybe if I move them from the closet... Reply with quote

I rarely think to put on an apron, but when I do think of it and tie one on, it really brings me pleasure. I feel much more relaxed while I'm cooking (no glancing down in a mild panic that I've splashed something on my shirt....again) and I do like having a towel tucked into my apron strings -- easy access at all times! My aprons are hanging in a closet off the kitchen, so I think if I put a couple on a hook in the kitchen where I can see them, I'd be much more likely to put one on!
All the aprons I have mean something to me -- some family heirlooms, some special gifts, some from personal appearances or food events. Framing one of my special ones sounds like a great idea!
Rachel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wear one if I'm doing anything messy (or potentially so), especially when I get home late and am too desperate for dinner to take the time to change out of nice work clothes... which means that on more than one occasion I've ended up cooking dinner wearing an apron, heels and pearls. (Despite being just about the most un-June-Cleaver-like person I know...)

I've only got one apron, to which I'm quite attached - it has a 'recette de bonheur' printed on it in French (my mom brought it back from a trip to Quebec ages ago, and I've had it for about seven years now). David, maybe you could suggest that Ben get you one of them... who knows, you might actually come to like wearing it! Wink
dory

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a horribly messy cook, and I always spatter or drip things on my shirts. In fact, even when I wear an apron (they have to be the full length ones-- not the skimpy little below the waist ones that do no good in my opinion) I often manage to spray or drip some horrible oily substance down underneath the apron or on my sleeves. Full strength Citrasolve in the laundry helps but I have ruined some shirts to the point where I have to throw them away. My aspiration is to get one of those white chef's jackets to protect everything! In the meantime I check every shirt that goes in the laundry under a bright light because those greasy spots just won't go away once they have been in the dryer.

I may sound like I am obsessively neat or clean, but actually I am more the opposite. I just really don't like the look of food stains on my clothes, and I can't seem to keep my food where it belongs-- in the pan, on my plate and in my mouth! I think I am a two year old who never grew up.

Dory
sistercooper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Wearing aprons Reply with quote

I nearly always wear an apron in the kitchen; in fact , even if I have my daggiest old clothes on I wear one; habit I guess! My favourite is a bright one I was given from Provence, France.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly wear an apron.The day I don't is the day I splash oil or batter. Sometimes its an old freebie from a wine company. If I'm wanting to feel extra special I wear a very nice freebie from a champagne house.
Hujonwi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never, what's a couple more stains on the old t-shirts or Levi's!
foleyscale

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Aprons Reply with quote

I always wear an apron and have several generations hanging in my kitchen closet. I wear the newest and prettiest for company and the worst for messy jobs. My favorite is one from Liberty in London that has a waterproof surface. Very handy for splashy situations where company is around.
photogardener

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Do you wear an apron when you cook ? Reply with quote

yes, always have on an apron when cooking
have extras for company too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: