Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

NOVEMBER '08 DISCUSSION: Do You Wear An Apron When You Cook?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do You Wear An Apron When You Cook?
YES, I put it on the minute I walk into the kitchen.
26%
 26%  [ 12 ]
YES, but only if I'm doing something messy.
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
NO, and I often pay for it, so I really should.
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
NO, I'm a tidy cook.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
NO, I hate aprons.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 46

Reina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Do you wear an apron when you cook ? Reply with quote

Yes, I always put on an apron for serious cooking & baking - oddly, wearing an apron elevates the kitchen experience into fun ceremony and ritual for me.
vickyc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear an apron when cooking and also when washing dishes--I always end up with a wet and/or stained shirt if I don't!
drmaxny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Aprons-no way Reply with quote

No one would call me neat but I would rather change clothes before dinner than wear an apron. It just isn't necessary most of the time.
sweetsadies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Do you wear an apron when you cook ? Reply with quote

I have all different styles of aprons...in fact I think I have become a collector!
I love wearing them and feel good in them. They kind of add a bit of fun fashion to the kitchen and they keep you relatively clean Smile
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of aprons at home, but never use them. If I'm entertaining, I change before my guests arrive.

I used to wear a labcoat for work, but in my current role, I just wear clothes I'm not worried about when I'm down in a production facility. I still pull out my labcoat for cake cutting duty at office birthday parties!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogardener, welcome on board!

aprons for company...what a lovely idea!

I notice in the voting that we have ONE tidy cook amongst us...for me, an apron is a must if I'm making anything that might include a splash (not that I'm wearing Chanel in the kitchen mind you)..I'm rather drawn to those amazing apron styles of the '50s..the frills and so on..

very Stepford Wifey methinks Wink
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I am exceptionally clumsy. If there was an Olympic event for clumsiness, I'd take more golds than Michael Phelps.

"It's hot ham water."
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never wear an apron, for some reason... probably my mum didn't, so I don't. But I am usually pretty careful... usually! Also, I do need a good reason occasionally to curse and swear in the kitchen...ahem!

Usually I am ok. I can't think of a time when I've got food over my clothes while cooking... while eating maybe, but not while cooking!! Wink
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you people that don't wear aprons - don't you ever get a splash of oil when frying or a spot of cream when whipping? Or do you and you don't know it's there because you don't iron your shirts after washing them?
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara-------Iron????? And what is the meaning of this strange word--iron. I only know of it as an instrument used in the tortuous game of golf.
eileen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, how we all seem to fall into tidy and not-so-tidy camps.
I'm completely in not-so-tidy, though I'm an Apron-Kinda-Girl.
But let it be said that the apron I'm wearing is, as other readers have shared, full of nostalgic value. Unfortunately, though, every time the woman who sewed it for me sees me wearing it, she says, "Oh my goodness, you need a new apron!" Whereas I, with the anti-age-goggles on, don't see anything wrong with it. Wink

sistercooper wrote: nearly always wear an apron in the kitchen; in fact , even if I have my daggiest old clothes on I wear one...

Don't ya l-o-v-e language? Daggy? Yep, that about describes it. My Scottish husband's equivalent would be 'minging.'

So for me, even if I'm daggy/minging/or in 'civilian clothing' - I wear an apron. A daggy one.
dory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard the term daggy since I spent the summer (winter) in N.Z. many years ago.

Dory
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay to the Griffin!!! See, we really are cyber siblings.

I never wear one, and never seem to get myself into a mess. Not that I don't like them. I like the idea, but just can't seem to get the hang of doing it.

I do own some lovely aprons which belonged to my grandmother and great aunt. Madame would love some of them - all frilly and pretty.

Think I have some magic charm attached to me that repels dirt and mess Laughing but only whilst cooking.... Laughing Laughing . Maybe that is a story for you Griffin and Madame.

Have been known to drip things on the ,ahem, "shelf" before now and walk around with a lovely blob of lunch/dinner on my front. Embarassed
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, that seems to be the danger zone doesn't it.

"It's hot ham water."
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, as a spot for collecting things, I am so envious of the more "petite" ladies of my acquaintance Wink They somehow manage to miss the danger zone and drop things in their serviette on their laps.... much more asthetically pleasing in teh long term.

It is also finding crumbs, and other specks, in the undergarments later on that is kind of disconcerting.... and itchy.... Laughing need to find a solution for this problem - and no one is to suggest a bib!!! I can hear the evil and cheeky minds of certain unnamed people ticking as I type!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: