Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

french for smoked mackerel.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markemorse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: french for smoked mackerel. Reply with quote

hi peeple...does anyone know the french for "smoked mackerel"? i realize that there could be more appropriate places for this question, but my cold medicine is preventing me from figuring out what those would be.

thanks!
mark
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can give you is a literal translation: de maquereau fumé. I hope someone who's more fluent can give you an idiomatic version.
markemorse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, sir...trying to increase the amount of mackerel in my diet and tired of seeing the same recipes over and over...was just wondering if there was a more idiomatic way to indicate this style o' fish.

mem
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're talking, markemorse, me being Scandi-hoovian and all!

Mackeral and Herring...the stuff I grew up on!

Here's some recipes you might want to try:

MACKERAL CAKES:

Mackerel
Onion (chopped)
Celery (chopped)
Bread crumbs
Hunter’s Seafood Seasoning
Eggs

Drain your mackerel, sort the meat, removing bones and skin. To your sorted meat add some sautéed onion and celery, bread crumbs, seafood seasoning and fresh whole eggs. Mix well. Form into dinner size cakes and fry until golden brown on each side.

Another use for your Mackerel is to add your fish to a pasta salad. Before adding the fish to your salad, drain the mackerel and pick out the bones and remove any skin you may find. This is for looks only as there is nothing wrong with bones or skin which you may find in canned fishes.

MACKERAL DIP:

2 Mackeral Fillets
1 Onion
2 C. Sour Cream or Salad Dressing
Your Choice of Seasonings

Poach the Mackeral Fillets and let cool. Once cooled, remove the skin. To make a smooth dip, use a blender to puree the meat and onion. This puree can be added to sour cream or salad dressing. Add spices of your choice (dill, Cajun, other).

If you want chunky spread, chop onions and fish into size you prefer and add to sour cream.

JERKED MACKERAL:

Mackerel
1/2 cup White Vinegar
1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Jamaican Jerk Sauce
1 large Onion
1 Lemon
2 dozen Pepper Corns
3 to 4 Scotch Bonnet Peppers

Remove and split fish (if less then 1# fish can be left whole)-with heads removed wash well and place in a glass dish (deep) and cover fish with the mixture of white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, & Jamaican Jerk Sauce (mix Jamaican Jerk sauce into vinegar before pouring over Mackerel). On top of fish add large sliced onion, thin sliced lemon, Pepper Corns, sliced Scotch Bonnet Pepper. Be sure the mixture covers the fish and place in the refrigerator for 24 to 36 hours. Drain and eat cold with a green salad.

This is a link to a website that I use frequently; it's got loads of fish recipes: http://www.freshfish4u.com/recipes/

And one more:

MAKERAL SOUFFLE

8 slices bread, cubed
2 cans mackeral, flaked
½ onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
Dash of pepper
3 cups milk
4 eggs, beaten
¼ green pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Place in covered container in the refrigerator overnight.
Pour into 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Pour 1 can of warmed, undiluted cream of mushroom soup over top. Sprinkle with grated Cheddar cheese and paprika. Return to oven and bake for 1-1/2 hours. Other seafood may be substituted for the mackeral, if desired. Serves 8 to 12.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markemorse wrote:
thanks, sir..
mem

That would be "ma'me" or "babe" (don't I wish...) if "Rainey" wouldn't do. Not a problem in the least to mistake a seemingly genderless name like Rainey (short for Lorraine) but I thought since others might also not be sure I'd mention that I'm a "she" or a "femme," as it were.... Wink

But if you run across serape, he's a he.

Hope you find les recettes que vous chercher.
simona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: mackrel Reply with quote

Enfin , one enigm solved: Rainey is one of us, girls!

As for makerel, hereunder a mousse I love very much:

300 gr of mackerel
1 small onion
4 Tbsp of Mayonnaise
3 Tbsp of Katchup ( yes, yes)
250 g of sour cream
20 g of gelatin
salt, pepper, 2-3 Tbsp of lemon juice

Mix well in the blender everything until smooth.
Disolve gelatin in 1/2 a cup of warm water and add to the mixture.
Continue for one minute more in the blender. Pour in form. Good with toast, mini crackers and some Vodka or Slibowitz. Bon appetit

Maquereau in french is a nickname for pimps.

No more war, more maquereaux( the smoked ones , of course)
markemorse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to all, sorry 'bout my genderiffic faux pas, in retrospect really unusual for me....I guess somehow I immediately connected your name to the only rainey I know, the excellent NYC jazz drummer tom rainey. not that I thought you were him...ah, the brain is a funny thing. apologies.

anyway, i've been meaning to elaborate on this...my quest for mackerel recipes stems from a recent high cholesterol diagnosis and so as much as i know and love sour cream-y, mayonnaise-y recipes for smoked fish--they're off-limits for me. unless anyone has an amazingly realistic sour cream/mayonnaise substitute they're willing to divulge.

so...if you'd like to read further about my smoked fish/dairy dilemma, you can find my mackerel-specific anti-cholesterol post at:

http://unclugged.blogspot.com/2005/04/day-3-wholly-mackerel.html

thanks for the recipes, going to sift through them now and look for a first test subject....

mem
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning!

Just read your site... my sympathies. I too have to watch my cholesterol (and I could stand to lose a few kilos) and it is a miserable existance.

All bran is one of those things which I classify as a "necessary evil".

Good luck with the whole lifestyle change and hope you find a substitute for sour cream... and if you do please, please, please post it here as well.

Some of the recipes you have found are quite interesting and will be trying a few out myself. Thank you.

Have a nice day
markemorse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the encouragement debbie (really)...

believe me, if i find anything that makes a smoked fish salad/dip/sicle taste/feel even remotely like it has mayo or sour cream in it, i'll tell you. right after i patent it and take it to the bank and bling myself into the beyond.

mem
simona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: smoked mackerel Reply with quote

Why smoked mackerel? why not the fresh version, cooked , grilled or baked ? Smoked has salt, which is bad for a lot of things.
And about cholesterol: Being seriously overweight, I was sure I have Cholesterol. Last blood exams prouved me wong. My GP explained to me that only about 5% of the cholesterol in blood is determined by what we eat. 95% is genetics. That explains why a lot of very slim persons have cholesterol and not all the fat one do. Only the fats in the blood ( Triglycerids) are determined by what we eat. In spite of that, low fat food is better of course. Hope it helps you with your Cholesterol>

No more war, no more cholesterol
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,
I have often wondered if it was your name or screen name. Lorriane never even occured to me even though my mother-in-law goes by the same name/nickname.

"It's hot ham water."

Last edited by Erin on Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mem- Are you eating oatmeal? I found it most effective for my cholesterol.

Be sure to try steel-cut oats. They're delicous and have much more interesting texture. I make up a cup of uncooked s-c oats with 1/2 a cup of flax seed and it makes breakfasts for 4 or 5 days. Besides hot in a bowl with milk, I like it fried like polenta.
markemorse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there...

i'm one of those people...i'm genetically predisposed to high cholesterol...i'm six-foot, 190 pounds, i've been eating moderately healthily for the last 4 years or so (ever since my girlfriend developed hypothyroidism and we had to become food scientists), except for a weekly cheese course and the occasional pate or chorizo. and a weekly pastry. or two. i did say moderately healthy.

i'm an american living in europe and since they don't really have the same idea of preventitive medicine over here i had a blood panel done in the USA last month. the doctor wanted to put me on lipitor immediately. i decided i wanted to try and lower my cholesterol in a way that would make me live "healthier" (instead of just taking a pill). so that's what's going on there.

and why smoked mackerel? just like it better, i'm a sucker for anything smoked.

and rainey, thanks for reminding me about oats...my girlfriend turned me on to steel-cut (or Irish) oats about 10 years ago. i'd always been an instant oatmeal guy, but once you start using these it's like a different food altogether. now if i could just figure out what the dutch call them, i'd be all set.

and if you've got time i'd love to hear about your oat-frying technique...

thanks!
mark

Last edited by markemorse on Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fried oatmeal is very, very simple. I just make up a generous batch and skip the 20 min. simmer each time I want some. As my reserve supply cools in the fridge, it becomes very thick and solid. I just slice off slabs that are about 1/4" thick and grill them in a spray of canola. It gives the surface a carbonization and a nice crunch and make a wonderful companion to a splash of maple syrup. ...or do you have that in the Netherlands?

Another name for Irish or steel-cut oats is pinhead oats. Lacking anything named in any of those ways, just look for oat groats that are milled into coarsely cut sections rather than flattened out.

As for those statin drugs like Lipitor, do a bit of research. You may find that you're willing to take them. I have an aversion to any chemical solutions myself but, as Alzeheimer's has struck the last 2 generations of my mother's family and I worry about being a candidate, I'm reassured that statins help reduce the statistical likelihood. I think they also reduce the incidence of strokes. I'm told that many doctors take statins and prescribe them to their family in the absence of any cholesterol issues.
simona

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello rainey,
You struck a sensible cord in me when you mentioned Alzheimer. My grandmother, her sublings, my father and his two sisters, all had Alzheimer's, though they died very old . SO I'm a primary candidate, and interested in anything concerning prevention and/or tratment.
I've never heard of statin drugs as prventive, I'll look into.
Is there anything else you've learned about prevention?
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: