Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

blanc-manger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yummy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: blanc-manger Reply with quote

I am planning to cook the "blanc-mangers" for a dinner this weekend (I have the French edition of the C &Z cookbook). I was wondering:
1/ how weighs 1 c.c. of agar-agar? Hopefully 2g since it is the package's size Smile But I am not sure and I am lousy at measuring volumes...

2/ if it were OK to substitute "creme fluide entiere" instead of "creme fleurette"

3/ how is the almond milk is supposed to look like? thick and creamy? or still liquid?

If anyone has answers....

Thanks a lot!!
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Yummy, and welcome to the forums!
1 c.c. (or 1 tsp) agar-agar is indeed equivalent to 2 grams.
And I'll note in passing that I have a page with volume-to-weight conversions on C&Z; you can perhaps bookmark it for future reference, it's at: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2006/09/conversions_equivalents.php
Happy blancmange making!
Clotilde.
yummy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you Clotilde! It worked beautifully (and I have learned since that 'creme liquide' is simply 'creme fleurette' but pasteurized so I assumed I could substitute one for the other)
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would post this for anyone making the blanc-manger with agar-agar flakes (as opposed to powder), which I did yesterday: if you use flakes, you need 1 tablespoon rather than 1 teaspoon, and you need to simmer them in the almond milk/cream mixture for a good 15 minutes. I found that they didn't dissolve completely in spite of all the cooking and stirring (a fair amount ended up in the strainer), but the blanc-manger still set well.
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reporting back on that, Rachel. I've never used agar-agar flakes as they don't seem to sell it in that form here, so it's good to know.
Cheers!
Clotilde.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: