Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Chocolate News: Jacques Genin has opened a boutique in Paris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randysea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Chocolate News: Jacques Genin has opened a boutique in Paris Reply with quote

Jacques Genin is an almost mythical chocolatier. For many years he only sold at wholesale to top restaurants. His atelier was hard to find and even harder to visit. Whether he invited you in was pure luck. Several years ago I was fortunate that he was in a good mood when I knocked on the unmarked door. I was treated to a half hour of tastings and talking.

This week Genin finally opened a retail boutique. It is at 133, rue de Turenne, Métro Filles de Calvaire (near pl. de la République) in the 11th.

I just visited and the place is gorgeous. There is a lovely cafe as well as two sales areas. One is for chocolates and the other for confections. These include his caramels, the only ones I`ve ever like, mainly because they are light.

I`m not ready to comment overall on the chocolates. All I can say now, after tasting a couple, is that Genin believes in subtlety of flavors so the chocolate remains dominant. In this respect, he is like M. Linxe of the Maison du Chocolat, my favorite chocolatier.
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy,
Hope by now you have tasted the mangue/passion caramels. My husband is loving the chocolates. Malhereusement, I only bought a small box. Well, next time........ My comment on the nougat is that I find it has a too powerful miel flavor (probaby a little less would be good - in the same restraint on flavors as his chocolates).

I do like Pierre Herme's chocolates and prefer it but it is a personal taste. I do buy and eat others as I like having a degustation du chocolat.

I was at Cafe Max with GraceJoan a little over a week ago and sorry that you were not able to join us but maybe next time.
-Lilia
Randysea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try the mango-passionfruit caramel. It is the best caramel I've ever tasted. However, I must admit that I don't like caramels in general, so I have to say it's the only one I ever liked. Wonderful fruit combo and very light for a caramel. The lightness is a Genin trademark.

I was warned, however, that it is his one caramel that must be refrigerated and only lasts 4-5 days. Indeed, I kept one too long and, like chewing gum on the bedpost, it lost its flavor.

I brought back just enough of those caramels to share for a few days. I also brought back a bunch of lovely little metal boxes of chocolates to give as gifts.

Of course, I also brought home some Maison du Chocolat pieces, and two wonderful cheeses.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, a few weeks ago we went to his new place. Very good looking and the cafe looks like a place I'd linger if living in that area. However my friends and I only went to buy more of his mango caramels before heading back to Boston,
sarahedwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: going to visit Reply with quote

thanks for the news, i am going to paris next week so it great to read nice stories like this Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: