Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Queen Elizabeth cake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Queen Elizabeth cake Reply with quote

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Queen-Elizabeth-Cake-I/Detail.aspx

Made it for the first time yesterday...oh my! The gals at sewing asked for the recipe...the topping is simply scrumptious. Simple to make ~ just keep an eye on the topping.

Luscious would cover this cake..

try a slice! 'n because it is dense and rich a little goes a long way...the edge bits are the choicest...in my opinion Wink

a little King Island cream on top would be a bonus for my tastebuds.

happy kitchen times
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dense and rich

Ah, so more a Prince Philip cake then! Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well aren't you the lucky one..given that folk are no longer sent to the tower...you my friend would have been headless by know..unless that is you were the court jester Wink
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin you slay me!!
Jennifer K

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I clicked through to the recipe, I was hoping to see a picture. There wasn't one, so it looks like I'll have to make this myself to see what it looks like! Sounds delicious!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer K..I googled 'Queen Elizabeth cake'...then clicked "images" .the first one in the list looks yummy but nowhere near as moist or dense as the one I made..the second one looks more like it..but again...the photo is of a much drier cake..

maybe because I added the dates and the soaking liquid..however doesn't mention draining in the recipe..

do give it a go...there's not a crumb left here...so delicious..
Jennifer K

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,
I followed your suggestion and saw the photos on Google. They all look yummy but I would definitely prefer it more moist and dense too! I love date nut bread so I'm sure I would love this. Thanks!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer K...even simply READING about the cake and I can taste it..it's serious good stuff!!!!

'n do let us know how you go...I might make it again for my beloved Papa who will stay with us for a while...we shall Scrabble and eat cake and sip something lovely...
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of Britons who would prefer the cake to the Queen... unless that Queen was the glamorous Helen Mirren possibly!

As for Prince Philip... if ever a man was made to speak with his mouth full of foot, it's him!

There's a saying about the Conservative Party in Britain that they are like very whipped cream - rich, thick and full of clots!

Either way, the cake sounds gorgeous. We'll assume it's Elizabeth the First instead! Who I would never have made cheeky comments about or I would definitely have ended up in the tower!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: