Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

the fires in Victoria
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: the fires in Victoria Reply with quote

Dears ~ no words really ~ nature + arson...

108 dead, 750 homes gone, 330 000 hectares burnt...

the energy of a thought...would you send them...in Victoria ..loving thoughts...

nature...........
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes Madame the thoughts are sent. I remember Judy telling me how she loves the "big brown land". Your daughter still in France or England (?) must be miserably trying to enjoy herself. I've been thinking of all of you--Barbara--all the new aquaintances and bloggers I've "met" in Australia
unbelievable to read "arson" in the news stories.

I've been out of touch, soon catching up I hope
All my love to Oz.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.smh.com.au/

gingerpale..Soph's in Strasbourg..then a night in Paris...night in London..home early Sunday morn...

do keep sending the loving thoughts..merci
CarlaH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, my thoughts go out to all Australians (even if one does not live in this area how can one not be touched) , so many lives lost and property destroyed - it is beyond comprehension. If, indeed, it is arson the people responsible need to be caught and severely punished - being put to clean up the aftermath comes to mind.
CarlaH
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too dreadful for words really--latest count on CBC says 141 dead, absolutely horrifying---and I lived in Victoria for 5 years (Melbourne) and spend many a happy day and weekend touring the countryside, staying with friends on farms-------I don't even want to know which towns have been destroyed, and the heat! and the drought! All too much, my heart bleeds.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reduced to tears by the story of a woman hiding under a wet blanket while her husband and brother fought their way to her. It's just too much. I am so sorry for you all.

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, I have been thinking and worrying about you and all the Southern Australia crew. We had a huge fire in Oakland in 1992 - 3,000 homes lost, but only 27 deaths. It was my neighborhood - and for years afterward it was just dreadful - all the color burned away - it looked like a black and white world. The houses are rebuilt and the trees and vegetation are mostly grown back now, but we still live in fear and we all sniff the air when the wind is blowing a certain way.

So, my heart is there with you all and I'll keep the firefighters in my thoughts.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale nice to see you back.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Australia was really lucky this time, no fires here despite the fierce weather. The devastation in Victoria is appalling though, and difficult to comprehend.

Here's a nice photo. Apparently the koala drank 3 bottles of water, but the firefighter had to leave her there when he was called away to fight the fire. Fortunately, the wildlife rescue people picked her up and are tending her wounds. 3rd degree burns to her back feet, with 2nd degree to her front.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a sucker for koalas, this picture is killing me.

"It's hot ham water."
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you read the follow up article about the koala in pic above, it's a she & she has found a boyfriend koala named Bob in the santuary & they keep hugging each other.....they r both burned and they cling to each other....sooo sweet
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Tree is the guy...he said as the water was dripping into his hand it made a little puddle..'n the koala put its paw in the water..to sooth the pain...it's been named Sam...seems Sam is now a little overwhelmed with all the media attention...

I saw footage of a bus...the metal had melted and formed little silverlike streams in the dirt...

these days...multilayers of story and opportunities...and tears...and questions ...and love...and anger...and I don't know whats...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/an-awful-chill-in-the-death-zone-20090211-84vu.html?page=1

am imagining some form of balance...somehow...amidst the ash...I imagine roses...amongst the ash...I imagine those saying "I'll never get over this." with roses...'n for a moment stopping to smell them...because the roses I imagine are scented like never before....

this nature...
this home of Earth
this powerful place
this mix
this nature
these yellow roses of imagination

dear friends...keep imagining with love

hugs
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading the news and feeling like I was reading fiction. Some dreadful sci-fi tale and then I read the probability of arson. Rudd is right to call it mass murder. The man who put his children in the car, turned to get the rest of his things and came back to find the car on fire.

If it were enough to make one weep, I'd have cried enough tears to put out the flames.

And the other species; the plants as well as the animals and insects, who have no choice but to die in something they don't understand.

Such cruelty and such tragedy and such misery. What a species we are that some can delight in arson for their own venality.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Griffin...is all that is nature...is nature all that is...the rose plus the virus...we are all part of such a story...of all that is...

especially that which confronts...especially that...

more loving energy to that southern place...

fires have been part of this land since time began...

we often forget this..

'n now...fires from firelighters ...sometimes fire from lightning...sometimes from heat to a piece..small...of glass...

and so...the people connections continue..

folk taken to deep places...

perhaps last week other things were of import...exam marks/wrinkles/the big party coming up/to buy a new car/to write or not write a certain letter/to make or not make a certain phone call/to finally get around to reading that book/to bake the cake grandma used to bake/to keep the understanding you were told to keep....

these things might have been of import..

now?

all part of this grand moment of ALL that is...

deep times methinks dear Griffin..

continue with the loving energy...from you to them...

hugs to all
bainst

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me that people can be so thoughtless. They tell you to not light fires , or make sure it's out. But it's the little things like tossing a cigarette out a moving car or a match . One little spark can cause so much pain and devastation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: