Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ideas for a 30th birthday celebration in Paris?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Ideas for a 30th birthday celebration in Paris? Reply with quote

I'm going to Paris to celebrate my 30th birthday! This will be my second time. My husband and I love food, and have gotten wonderful ideas from Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris for restaurants and shops to try. But, what's a really great place to celebrate a birthday, specifically? I was thinking about a day trip to Reims - the birthplace of champagne seemed like a really fun place to toast one's day of birth.

We love traditional and nouveau French cuisine (or any cuisine, for that matter) but hate to spend hundreds of dollars at restaurants. Does anyone have ideas for restaurants, or other ways to celebrate in Paris?

Merci beaucoup!
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy, check out Barbara's post above! This sounds like and exciting and innovative way of spending a special evening!!
Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued! Dining at a "concept" restaurant such as that would definitely be a first for me - and what better way to start a new decade in life by celebrating in an original way?

Plus, wine is truly one of my favorite foods Smile Thank you, David!
David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee, agreed Amy! It does sound both intriguing and stimulating! For other ideas scroll down the topics on this page until you see "Romantic Evening for Two and a half" started by Andrew le Gourmand. There is a load of interesting ideas in there as well.
Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, thank you again! I did peruse that post, and now have a long list of romantic options written down with all of my other Paris "to dos". As I'm visiting with my husband, this is not a bad thing!

However, I'm wondering if anyone out there has suggestions for restaurants they have visited in Paris that are ... fun? I know there are many dedicated foodies on these forums, and as I grow older and wiser I appreciate the high culture of cuisine more. I do hope to leap into my next decade in life with a celebratory, optimistic, hopeful attitude, and I'm trying to find places that matches that mood.
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "fun"?

Fine dining is a serious business here and so most places concentrate on a great dining experience with good food and wines.

If that is your idea of fun then that is great, but otherwise if you are looking for a themed type resto you may be disappointed.

What about trying the Jules Verne, the dinner/show option at one of the cabarets, etc. There are many of those types of things but a lot of them cater to tourists and I do not think that the food experience is as good as what you will get elsewhere.

We recently did the Crazy Horse dinner show for a birthday party. I was really disappointed to be honest and would never go on one of those outings again - no matter whose birthday it was.

Hope that doesn't ruin your ideas, but thought an honest opinion would be more worthwhile to you. Would not like anyone else to feel as ripped off as we did afterwards.
CarlaH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Debbie, we went to Crazy Horse years ago and it was definitely a rip off but enjoyable once in a lifetime - I remember the outing everytime I hear YMCA played at the Gym - it certainly has the beat to make you work just that little bit harder, but I digress from the subject. There are so many lovely local restaurants in Paris that serve good to excellent food and provide entertainment just watching the other customers.
Amy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, I don't go to themed restaurants in the US, I wouldn't dream of going to one in Paris! The best examples I can give of "fun" restaurants are a few in my hometown of Chicago. At Spaca Napoli on the North Side, the owner will sometimes come around to those who are waiting for tables, pour everyone prosecco, and hand out appetizers for us to try. That usually starts a friendly, impromptu discussion while we all stand around holding our little plastic glasses of prosecco. Or at Nacional 27 in River North, the tables in the center of the restaurant are removed to make a small club space for Latin dancing. So after a great meal you can stay at your table, sip a mojito, and take to the floor to samba.

Right now we have reservations for the "restaurant with a difference", Il Vino d'Enrico, followed by jazz somewhere on the Rive Gauche. I will definitely avoid the Crazy Horse!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: