Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A New Coffee Maker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: A New Coffee Maker Reply with quote

Hello fellow C&Zers,

I was wondering if you can help me out in finding a new coffee maker. My current one is getting old and I am ready for a change. I am looking for a grind and brew machine, because as much as I love coffee I loathe grinding, actually I hate making coffee all together, but it is necessary to my ability to function. Anyway, I am hoping to find out things like reliability, ease of cleaning and quality of the brew to find out if a grind and brew is worth it.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nespresso which makes a perfect cup every time.
http://www.nespresso.com/precom/home_au_en.html?&nedlogin=

No grinding and roasting and no mess. Suits me although one of my children thinks it takes away the romance of coffee.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could help, Erin. But we only make boiled coffee (which, of course, is not really boiled) in the same old pot we've have for years.
dory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We grind and make French press. Sometimes if I get bored I make manual drip, but generally my husband is the coffee guy. Sometimes I even get it in bed! We have never spent more than $20 on a coffee maker. The problem we have here in Wisconsin is our water is very hard, and mechanical coffee makers fill with lime in no time. We would have to constantly clean (de-lime) a machine.

Dory
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, we're a coffee plunger household ...'n Sieg does the grinding..

so..all I can do is wishe you the very very very best in your search
swan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grinding your own sounds so romantic.....!!
I used to have a ' grind and brew'machine, 'cause I loved to buy my beans wherever I travelled to and take them home and have my machine grind just as much as it needed for my coffee...then the machine broke. And I gave up the romance. I have a Nespresso now, with a aerolatte-thingy as well - and love it. Both stayed at home( so that we can have decent coffee whenever we are in the Netherlands) so my first purchase here was another Nespresso and ' milkmonster'. Feeling much more at home now...
msue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My beloved Nespresso machine (the C-190 model) is probably the one kitchen item I'd grab on my way out the door in a fire. I've had just about every other kind of coffee maker or grinder that is available, but the Nespresso - let's just say I'm hooked.

The convenience alone made a HUGE difference in my life, but the coffee choices trigger my "I'm in love" threshold too.

My husband (avid coffee hater) noticed how much I enjoyed mine, and sent a machine to his father. His mother can now make him coffee, even though she detests it herself. And the bonus is that I don't have to haul my machine with us when we visit them. Sweet!!

p.s. Swan, what are your thoughts on the Aeroccino milk frother? I wanted it to heat the milk more than it does. But my father-in-law seems to like it.
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to have my whole bean. I need the experience of going to the shop and chatting with my baristas while they weigh my beans or share a sample of the new varietal. I have a french press that I use on occasion, but I am not a morning person in the slightest. No that is much too mild, I hate the morning and feel that despite it's beauty, the sunrise is an altogether obscene occurance that insights more grumbling than poetry from me. Sorry, I got off course, I am way too cranky to grind, boil, brew and plunge that early in the morning. I want to flip a switch and be done with it.

Thanks for all of the help guys! I can always count on you.

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msue - I agree the aerochino doesn't heat the milk as hot as I'd like.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on that, Erin.

If God had wanted us to see the sun come up he'd have scheduled it for later in the day!
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, my neighbors have a Cuisenart Grind'n Brew which puts out quite a respectable cup, I think. I've had it several times after a dinner party and was impressed. They set it at night and wake up to fresh ground, brewed coffee.

I haven't read any review, but you might try

tp://coffeegeek.com/reviews/drip/cuisinartgrindbrew900

They have a lot of other coffeemakers on that site that you might explore!
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYH, true, true.

Donna, Thanks, I'll check it out!

"It's hot ham water."
swan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msue, barbara, I'm fine with the temperature of the milk coming from the aeroccino - that is for use in the coffee!
I agree that if I want a cup of hot milk with honey, or cocoa, its not warm enough.
I like to drink my coffee almost immediately after I made it Smile so for me it's fine. It might help to preheat the coffeecup by letting the nespressomachine make you a cup of coffee without the capsule first in the cup you will use. I usually froth the milk and make my coffee at the same time, milk takes a bit longer, so all is ready and warm. And my favourite is " to play starbucks" by adding a nice flavoured syrup now and then.... Razz (cinnamon (bought in Paris!) preferably, or vanilla...) (don't laugh, Holland is a 'no-starbucks-zone' except for the airport since a few months! Now in HK my need for playing starbucks is lots less....many here as well as other coffee places)

I do like the fact that it can froth cold as well! easy milkshake with milk and a little syrup (okay, fool yourself milkshake, no icecream in there, but hey, it makes my hips happier!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: