Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Los Angeles for the non-tourist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Los Angeles for the non-tourist Reply with quote

I'm moving to Los Angeles in just over four months - a move I look forward to with a bit of trepidation (because it's so utterly unlike anywhere I've ever lived before) and a lot of excitement (self-explanatory!).

I know there's already a thread about restaurants in LA, but I'm interested in a different side of the city's culinary life - shops, markets, bakeries etc. The only caveat - they have to be reachable by public transport, since I won't have a car (I know, I know, I'm mad). I don't know yet where I'll be living, but I will most likely be in Westwood, West LA, or, if I'm very very lucky, Santa Monica.

If anyone has tips on places I shouldn't miss, I'm all ears!
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahling! Finally they're going to make you a film star! Then you will be able to wear Poiret. You could star in the film biog of his life and be the costume advisor/consultant.

I hope the move goes painlessly and everyone realises what a star you are. When is the movie coming out and who's your leading man?

Travelling by public transport is better for the environment than lots of individual cars, so you're not mad, you're doing your bit!
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to disappoint you, Griffin, I'm going there to work in a museum, not to be a Poiret-wearing starlet. Laughing (although I gather LA is a great place for vintage clothes!) My stepdad is convinced that I'll be 'discovered' at a soda fountain, a la Lana Turner, but I'm a bit skeptical about that, to say the least. I'm more interested in exploring the farmers' markets anyway...
David

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Rachel! Moving to LA to work in a museum! You will now have Griffin captivated forever!!
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel,

How ironic that you're moving to LA and I'm planning on moving away (I'm hoping to buy a house in San Diego this summer). LA is full of wonderful hole-in-the-walls.

I'm running off to one for lunch this afternoon. Please do yourself a favor and visit Philippe's in Chinatown. It's been around forever. I've driven by it thousands of times on my way to school and work, but I've only recently gone in during the past 2 months. It's the home of the original French dip sandwich and it's just amazing. You can access it by taking the Goldline Metro (overground subway) and walking down the street to Ord Street from Union Station.

http://www.philippes.com/

There are so many wonderful restaurants in LA but the real gems for me are the mom and pop ones that are still around. Also, do visit the big farmer's market in Santa Monica. It's a great place for people watching too.

Good luck with your move. I hope you enjoy Los Angeles. It's been good to me but I'm at the age where I'm seeking a slower paced neighborhood.

harpo

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Rachel

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpo, thanks for the tips. The farmer's market sounds wonderful - I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to having a year-round one at my disposal again (something I took for granted when I lived in London, so it was a rude shock to move back to Chicago where they only run late May-Oct). I'd heard of Philippe's, but only in the context of the French dip sandwich, so thanks for the link... with 9-cent coffee it's a good thing I won't be living nearby, otherwise I'm sure I'd turn into a caffeine-addled wreck in no time at all! Shocked
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask my friend next time we talk, but she used to rave about an Argentenian bakery near Sony that she went to almost daily.

"It's hot ham water."
heathers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
I'll ask my friend next time we talk, but she used to rave about an Argentenian bakery near Sony that she went to almost daily.

Is it Bakery Esperanza that you are talking about? They ROCK!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: