Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

APRIL '09 DISCUSSION: Spring Cleaning in the Kitchen
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
provence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pantry items I always review, and discard if necessary, are spices and baking items. In the past 2 years I have been storing my spices in the freezer, but continue to hang onto older spices in my pantry. I know they lose their intensity and they need to be tossed.

Other items I always discard are baking powder and baking soda. I replace them after a year, if not sooner. I have found that yeast doesn't work well if it is past it's expiration date.

There are other things I try to clear out of my pantry and freezer every 6 months, depending on if I will use them, if they have past expiration dates, or if preparing for a new harvest. In a cooking class I took, the instructor stated any item in the freezer, which was once fresh produce, should be used in 6 months. I try to follow that rule.

I'm with Debbie, very much like cleaning my clothes closet, if I haven't worn it recently, I probably will never wear it. In my pantry, if I haven't used it recently, I probably will never use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: