Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

are they called Bouchon molds in France too?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: are they called Bouchon molds in France too? Reply with quote

Williams-Sonoma has what they call "Bouchon Molds", which turn out very cute little corks of cake. I don't live in the U.S so I was searching French shops online for these molds.

Can someone tell me if these cakes/molds are really called "Bouchon" in France? Or should I be looking for another type of mold, another name? All my searches for Bouchon Forme come up with actual cork related paraphernalia.

Also, if anyone can recommend an online shop in France where I can get these types of silicon molds, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mia,

In my experience, the "bouchon" isn't a very common shape for cakes in France, and I've never come across this sort of mold in France. (If anyone else is curious, here's a link to the Williams Sonoma molds.)

After a brief search though (it's better to search for moule, mold, than forme, which just means "shape"), I was able to find molds for darioles or baba or these silicon cylindres, which seem close to what you're looking for.

Hope that helps!
Clotilde.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical Williams-Sonoma hype if you ask me.

They talk about a cake with a French name, made in a mold that comes from France. But nobody in France has ever heard of it.

But what else would you expect from a company with zero customer service.
Mia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Clotilde ... that is exactly the information that I needed. The cylindres are perfect. Though now you've ruined me, as I've seen all the other lovely molds they offer as well. I have to pace myself.

Incidentally, the phenomenon of items that are sold in the U.S as "Made in France" or "Made in Germany" but not actually available in those countries is not exclusive to Williams-Sonoma. It occurs over a wide range of products and stores, not only kitchen stuff. Different market, different demands, and so on. Living in DE for many years has taught me that.

But I'm a sucker for WS anyway. I freely admit it.

Thanks ladies.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are just cupcakes, but taller? Is this what you call a "timbale" ?
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All...These "bouchons", both mold and recipe, are specialty items--a collaboration between chef Thomas Keller and his Bouchon restaurant and Bouchon Bakery. The chocolate "bouchons" are typical of his playfulness and inventiveness with food (they look like chocolate corks) and are a signature dessert at the wine country bistro. Williams-Sonoma offers the silicon molds in conjunction with a mix to be baked in them.

It wouldn't surprise me if nobody in France (or anywhere else...) ever saw anything called a "bouchon mold".

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shape looks like a small canele without the ripple edges..

oh my those caneles are scrumptious!!!
dory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really strange. What I don't understand is why they don't give the Thomas Keller connection, and why of all things, they would sell them with a mix? That would seem to me to be the antithesis of the snobbery of the Thomas Keller connection. Couldn't they call them French Laundry bouchons, and sell them without the mix? Hmmmm. I think I will stay with cupcakes.

Dory
dory

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but I also hate those silicon molds. I find that grease from cooking penetrates the silicon and will not come out no matter how hard I try to clean them.

Dory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: