Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Elderflower cordial.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Elderflower cordial. Reply with quote

On another blog, I found in the comments this recipe for Elderflower cordial.

Ingredients:

1 kg sugar
10-12 flowers
4-5 lemons
8 l cold water
1/2 tea spoon of beer yeast

Preparation:

Boil 3 litres of water with 1 kg of sugar and the juice of one lemon for 15 minutes.

Pour the resulting liquid in a big jar (of about 10 litres ) and add the rest of the cold water;

Put into the jar the elder flowers, lemon zest and the juice of the rest of the lemons;

Finally, add the beer yeast and cover the jar with a towel;

Leave at room temperature for 48 hours and stir from time to time;
Filtrate and put in bottles.

You can see the elderflowers and find out about the elder at Rima Staine's blog http://intothehermitage.blogspot.com/

Rima is an artist and her blog is worth a look for the dream her boyfriend and her are making real.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing blog!! Thanks for pointing us in Nima's direction oh wise Griffin!

Sadly the Eldertree bears no resemblance to anything I've encountered over here in Central Canada.
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be no one but Griffin to find /discover/share such a fantastic blog. It's sooo you Griffin. And probably a little bit me too, though I'm too jovial ( that's an euphemism for being rather on the round side ...) to be mysterious ...

Thank you

No more war. Obama's in town!!!
PS I love the drawings,remind me of ( a modern) Bosch. Who is my preferred painter.
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

glad you liked it. I am drawn to artists and crafters, I have links to many on Madame's and my own blog. Rima is one of them.

Simona,

It appealed to me instantly! She loves medieval art, and I think Bosch is one of her influences too (and one of my favourites!) among others. I like to think of you as being mysteriously jovial... or jovially mysterious!

Yes, no more war... enuff awready! I admit I wondered if he had any Irish blood in him... being Barack O'Bama!! Wink
swan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should it surprise us that Bosch is one of my favourites too and it was the first thing I thought when I saw that magical blog ?!?!?
simona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, Griff dear, one may indeed wonder if Barak (which translates as " thunder or glitter" in Hebrew and "blessing" in Arabic) has irish roots. It's because of his fire-red hair, isn't it? We do have to look on his father side, I think...
Anyhow, if he fails to resolve the one and only most important and urgent issue in the whole world, which is of course the Israeli-Palestinian peace
(after which, I'm sure, all the other minor and insignificant problems of the world will evaporate immediately in the thin air, and eternal peace will befall on all uf us. aaaamen!) he can always be a model. One shouldn't be so handsome! It's immoral to be rich, young, healthy, bright, successful, the ruler of the world AND handsome too. It's tooo much!!!

No more war, shalom and saalam Aleikum! Amen
David

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my simona---your best signature line EVER!!!!!
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love how we have gone from elderflower cordial to handsome men..... Very Happy

There is another blog called hunter angler gardener cook which also covered elderflower cordial a few weeks ago. I always check in as he does such interesting things.

Yesterday we actually sipped elderflower cordial in the spring sunshine. It really is a perfect summery drink to enjoy in the garden. We were not in a garden that we can gain access to regularly - but it was a pleasure to be savoured anyway.
sherri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a bottle in the supermarket, but figured if I liked it I'd prefer to make my own.

Thanks for the recipe.
Stille

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elderberry cordial will only be ready in 48 hours if it is kept in direct sunlight all day long for two sunny days. If it gets less direct sunlight, for example if it's fermented inside or on cloudy days, it may need as much as a week. Good thing is, it's drinkable and yummy from the time you put it in the jars Smile
lbarton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Elderflower cordial Reply with quote

I actually found this site whilst looking for a recipe for elderflower cordial. When we were kids I seemed to remember we made it without yeast as I was somewhat perplexed at the gas it generated without yeast. Is it possible to make this without yeast or is my memory having yet another off day?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: