Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Dutch Mayonnaise?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birgit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... the recipe for pofitjes ...

Debbie, could it be poffertjes? You'll find them here in germany at christmas markets, yummy. I've found some recipes e.g. here

http://www.xs4all.nl/~avpelt/pannekoeken.html
http://www.rootsinholland.com/poffertjes.html
http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipedetail.jsp?recipe_no=1857

but I don't know which version is the correct one. Some ingredients lists include yeast and some don't. Does anybody know?

Dairy_Queen, thanks a lot for your reply, I've just now found it. The old recipes are really great, there are lots of forgotten treasures there.
Crow4ever

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dh and I often have mayonnaise with our 'fries.'

I do not have a recipe ... sorry! However, I buy the following from www.hollandbymail.com:
... Remia Fritessaus (we like this very much)
... Calvé Frites Saus (we love this)
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister in law lives back in Holland (Sittard) and her husbands Mum makes poffertjes whenever the "kids" come for the weekend.

Here is her recipe, which she has been making for over 60 years and it came from the Grandma, who has been making it for 82 years, unchanged. As you probably know, you can make these is a special pan for poffertjes, but Mum and Grannie make these just in a fry pan with hot fat.

'ouderwetse poffertjes' (old-fashioned poffertjes), enough to make 170:

1/2 litres lukewarm milk
250 grammes flour
10 grammes yeast
50 grammes of melted butter
salt
1 egg

Mix the flour, milk and (pre-mixed with a small amount of milk) yeast. Stir the salt through and pour the melted butter in slowly. Then add the egg and stir. Leave to sit for 30 minutes in a warm place and then fry!

My s.i.l. swore that she thought there was sugar in the recipe but her m.i.l. insists that the sweetness comes from the stroop, not the batter. I guess they should know.

Here's the pan and the link to where you can buy them. They look identical to aebleskiver pans!

http://fantes.com/aebleskiver.htm#poffertjes

(edited to add: Susan's recipe, above, is pretty darn simple. On the website that I listed, they have a recipe, also, for poffertjes, but it seems way more intense. I guess it's whatever flavour you're used to eating. I posted that one, too) Good luck, Debbie!

Also known as Dutch Mini Pancakes, Tiny Pancakes, and Puffers

125 grams (4-1/2 oz by weight) of wheat grain flour
125 grams (4-1/2 oz by weight) of buckwheat flour
(if you can't get the latter, just use all wheat grain flour, i.e. 250 grams
of flour in total)
3 dl (10 oz.) of lukewarm milk
1 egg
10 grams (0.35 oz by weight) of yeast
2 tablespoons of sweet syrup
Pinch of salt
75 grams (2-1/2 oz by weight) melted butter
Powdered sugar

Sieve (and or mix) all the flour, make a depression in the middle and pour a small portion of the lukewarm milk, in which the yeast has been dissolved first, into the hole.

Sprinkle the salt along the outer edge of the flour and start making the 'poffertjes' mix, stirring from the center, adding slowly the remaining milk and afterwards the beaten egg and the syrup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: