Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What are you currently reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to have another book rant......

Well, took book back to library. Advised them of pages missing. The response....

"Oh, damn, that means we can't just put it back on the shelf. What should I do about it?"

My response "perhaps tell the supervisor????"

Sigh. They could not have cared less about it and in fact acted like it was a drama that I even mentioned it to them. Shall check when I next go back to see if it was just put on the shelf and nothing done, or whether they shifted themselves and sorted the problem in some way.

Really disappointed that they were not concerned about the pages missing, or doing anything about it. Maybe they are just "doing a job" and don't really care about books like I do??

OK, rant over now. Off to pack for my holiday.
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's possible that readers had reported the missing pages and the library staff had just ignored them and plonked it back on the shelf.

Like Bainst, I hate with a fury the damage of books. Only the wantonly stupid and the barbaric treat books like that. There are books I dislike, but I would never damage or destroy them. My addictions: books, chocs and shoes!

I'm currently reading Mrs Lirriper by Dickens and other authors. I have Ishbel Addyman's biography of Cyrano de Bergerac to follow. On Tuesday I pulled a tendon in my foot and hobbled painfully around on Wednesday. I have four days (including the weekend) so time to read! Hopefully that will get my writing mojo back, 'cos I'm struggling at the moment.

In fact I have quite a few books to read, some fiction and some factual. So a lot of reading for a change.
mlle noelle

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: book club anyone? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Just finished reading "Tender at the Bone" by Ruth Reichl and it was FABulous. Don't know what took me so long to get around to reading it. I read "Garlic and Sapphires" a couple years ago and thought it was hilarious.

I wanted to extend an invitation to all you readers to participate in a virtual foodie book club I'm hosting on my blog. We're kicking it off with the book "How to Pick a Peach" by Russ Parsons. I'm going to post a review with discussion topics on Friday, May 22 and then let people "discuss" the book in the comments section. I think the following book is going to be "My Life in France" by Julia Child, to coincide with the upcoming Julie & Julia movie.

You can go here for more info:
http://mllenoelle.wordpress.com/book-club/

Cheers and happy reading!
-mlle noelle
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlle noelle, I loved "My Life in France", it made me love Julia just that much more. I'm a little hesitant about the movie, but my sis is friends with one of the producers and her reports sound promising.

"It's hot ham water."
mlle noelle

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'm really looking forward to reading it. I just posted a review of "Julie & Julia"- I just got around to reading it because of a Mastering the Art of French Cooking- themed blogger event I went to a couple weeks ago. I feel like I should rent some old episodes of her show too, since I only have the haziest memories of seeing them once or twice as a kid. I think I remember all the spoofs of her more than I actually remember her!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere somewhere I've a copy of an ancient magazine...there was an article about Julia and photos of her kitchen. The pegboard!

And then the sheer joy of seeing that kitchen at The Smithsonian. How I didn't faint I don't know. What a creative thought..to gift The S with the kitchen..marvellous

My Winter-is-approaching book is (well, soonish anyway) Snowflakes and Schnapps. by Jane Lawson

Cold weather recipes and wondrous photos. Will have a glass of schnapps alongside methinks...
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, I missed out on seeing Julia's kitchen at the Smithsonian when we were in Washington a year or so ago, 'cos it (The Smithsonian) was closed for renovation. I was soooo disappointed.

I'm trying to decide how many and which books to take on our Lake Eyre adventure. MFK Fisher and Me, The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry, Alan Alda's latest autobio and a couple of novels are on the pile so far.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude Darlin'..here's the best I can do:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/juliachild/

as for the books..well that list covers your first day Wink

today, a friend gave me a copy of The Jewel Garden by Monty and Sarah Don..Montagu actually...now THERE'S a name!

am enjoying Mr Don's "Around the World in 80 Gardens" series..

doesn't mean you won't get back to The Smithsonian!

I drank in every inch of that kitchen...even though there were two glass walls...I continued to drink and was seriously Julia Child kitchen-drunk by the time I walked outside!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Readers...have just finished reading this article...'n thought of you all..

'twill take but a few moments to read and methinks you might enjoy Marieke Hardy's words on words..

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/lap-up-literature-where-you-find-it--on-tv-on-posters-and-even-in-blogs-20090518-bcn7.html
David

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am totally engrossed by Peter Behren's The Law Of Dreams, winner of the 2007 Governor's General Award for Literature. An energetic tale of the Irish Famine and much much more!
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to tell you about this book which I just read.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog

It is a french book, but has been translated into english. Unfortunately, I neglected to write down the authors name..... sorry.

Rarely do you read a book that is so simple, yet so moving.

We had a huge discussion on it yesterday out at lunch with a group of friends. 10 out of the 15 people had read it and they agreed that it was a book to buy as you could read it again and enjoy it even more the second time. They all loved it, something which I find rare. Normally opinion is divided on books and movies when talking in such a large group.

They have recommended another called Three cups of Tea, which I haven't read yet, but am going to try and get from the library next week. Shall let you know how it is if I manage to borrow it.
bainst

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie,
I just heard about that book while listening to the Diane Rehm Show on NPR in April. It sounded absolutely fascinating. The author is Muriel Barbery.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bainst, I cannot recommend it highly enough. I am going to buy it in french as it is a "keeper". The english version is great though and I really enjoyed it. If I can't get it in the french I will buy the english as it is so good.

Thank you for the name of the author.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to post again.....

Went to the movies this afternoon to distract me from my growling stomach.... (saw Star Trek - which I have to say was FABULOUS!!!! and I am not a huge fan of the series etc).

Whilst there I was flicking through the coming attractions pamphlet and there was an advert for the movie based on the book Elegance of the Hedgehog.

It is out next month in France, so check your cinema schedules to see when it will appear for you.

I hope it is even half as good as the book.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that book, it made me cry, it made me laugh, it made me think.
I doubt the film would be as good.
Colette's Cheri is out on film with Michelle Pfeiffer the younger man, Cheri
is not as my mind's eye pictured him.
Audrey Tatau as Coco Chanel will be here in August.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 31 of 40

Jump to: