Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Fish chowder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countrygirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Fish chowder Reply with quote

It is winter here now so I am looking for a delicious fish chowder recipe, tasty but not too much cream please. Any suggestions?
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant Schliewe, who used to guide smallmouth fisherman in Michigan, came up with this one to use the big Redhorse Suckers that would run the rivers he fished. If you use a very boney fish, follow the recipe. If not, just poach the filets all the way:

Schliewe Chowder

1 1/2 quarts water heated with 1 coarsely chopped onion. Add 2 lb filets. Simmer until fish is half done. Remove fish and strip meat from the bones.

Add about one cup each of finely diced carrots, potatoes, celery, and turnips. Cook until tender.

Return boned fish flakes and cook until done. Thicken slightly with a white sauce made with butter, flour, and milk. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried parsley to taste.

This one has zero dairy. Although it calls for walleye, any white, flaky fish will do:

Quebec Walleye Chowder

5 6-pound or 2 three-pound walleye
3 medium onions, sliced
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
1/4-1/2 lb diced salt pork
1 bay leaf
4 tsp salt
1 green pepper, diced
4 medium carrots, diced
2 tbls parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 cups boiling water
3 medium ripe tomatoes, diced

Filet and skin fish and cut into one-inch chunks. Put the skin, head, bones and tail into a sheesecloth bag and reserve.

Sear the pork over medium heat in a Dutch oven and turn it until golden brown on all sides. Remove the pork and drain on paper towels. Saute the onions in the pork fat until clear. Add water and the remaining ingredients except tomatoes and place the cheesecloth bag of fish parts into the water. Bring this to a low boil and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the filet chunks to the chowder and cook until they are flaky.

Remove the bag of fish scraps and add the tomatoes. Cook the chowder for several more minutes. Gardish with chopped parsley at serving time.

If these don't appeal let me know, and I'll post others.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epicurious has just done an article on the differences between clam chowders (red, white and brown). If you get on the website maybe you can see which one suits you best and follow their recipe substituting fish for clams.

KYH, that recipe sounds delicious. Shall copy that for next winter I think.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen that article, Debbie (I have a personal boycot against epi, so don't go there at all), but had been thinking the same thing.

Other than most of New England---Rhode Island excepted---much of the East Coast makes white clam chowder without the addition of dairy, and it would be a simple matter of subbing fish for clams.

BTW, what is "brown" clam chowder? I'm not familiar with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: