Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

how do I bake with a ring mold?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beechekin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: how do I bake with a ring mold? Reply with quote

Hello,

My local gourmet shop had a sale and I got 2 ring molds for $5.... however I don't know how to use them! I've seen the lovely little cakes they can make but since they have no base I don't know what to put under them... also, what kind of cakes are they good for? can they work with a cheesecake or is a miniature springform better for that purpose?
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Beechekin!

Could you locate and point us to an online picture of the ring molds you refer to, or describe them in further detail? They come in many different shapes and sizes, so picturing them would help us help you. Smile

Clotilde.
beechekin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the link below, they look like the one on the right:

http://www.pastrychef.com/assets/images/large/adjustable_cake_ring_large.jpg
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong (and perhaps others will chime in) but I believe this type of ring is not meant for use in the oven, but rather to "build" multi-layered p√Ętisserie-style desserts.

You would for instance bake a thin sponge cake layer that you would cut to the size of the ring and place inside the ring, then pour some sort of a mousse (say, a raspberry mousse with a bit of gelatin so it will set), then pour a layer of ganache, then more mousse, then a final layer of sponge cake, let the whole thing set, then remove the ring carefully to reveal the entremets (that's the French name for this type of dessert) that you might sprinkle with icing sugar or cocoa or both.

This raspberry dacquoise is built along the same idea, but with a rectangular mold, not a ring.

Hope that helps!
Clotilde.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually bake with them.... but you need a "stiff" batter rather than a thin and runny one.

Put it on a very flat and even surface and check if there are any gaps or whether it is perfectly flat and even around the rim first. If there are slight differences in height at the base it will not work as all your batter will ooze out.

I have ones (a square/rectangle and a circular one) that expand from small to large, and I put mine on a silicone mat on a tray to bake and it works well. Bought in a kitchen wares shop in Paris, but cannot remember which one. The person who sold it to me recommended the silicone mat trick.

You will soon learn which batters do and do not work in it and can adapt recipes or use another pan for the thinner ones.

It does make a great cheesecake. You just run a knife blade around the rim to get it off.

I like it because it means I can adapt the size of the pan to the size cake I want.
beechekin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot! I may give the silicone trick a try Smile
dory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen these used to build "constructed" meals of things like vegetable purees (I hate to mention the word puree after reading what happened to Debbie while I was offline) and small, chopped foods that will form a layer. For example, I once had a restaurant meal that was made of different colored layers of mashed potato, spinach, cooked, sliced mushrooms pureed, or mushed up carrot, etc. IT was quite impressive and tasty if a bit precious and 90s in its esthetic. OF course the molds I have seen used for this are quite small. I didn't get an impression of how large yours was.

Dory
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dory, the word puree makes me shudder too now.......

My square/rectangle one makes a cake which is almost the size of my oven. Having said that, I haven't actually expanded it that big and made a huge monster cake yet with it. Cannot imagine how many people it would feed. A bit scarey actually. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: