Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Your opinion on smaller appliances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Your opinion on smaller appliances Reply with quote

So, with my new fixer-upper cottage home (it's 100 years old), there's an opportunity to redo the tiny kitchen. It's a tiny kitchen by American standards (about 8 feet by 9 1/2 feet) but considering the house is only about 800 square feet, it's not that bad. I'm thinking about purchasing smaller and compact sized appliances (compact refrigerator, range and dishwasher). I don't mind having a smaller kitchen as long as the equipment in it is proportionate to the space. But that's me . . . someone who has cooked in her Parisian friend's tiny galley kitchen and marveled at its efficiency.

If I ever decided to sell this house somewhere down the line, what do you think prospective buyers will think of my tiny kitchen and its tiny appliances? Do you think they will appreciate my respecting the smaller space or will they be puzzled?

Also, here's a web site that seller smaller and compact sized appliances.

http://www.compactappliance.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Appliance-Site/default/Default-Start?mtcpromotion=google>Compact%20Appliance&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Compact%20Appliance&utm_medium=Ad%20Group%20

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
bainst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when someone is looking at a house that is listed at 800 s.f., I hope that they would not be expecting the kitchen from Top Chef. As long as you have it laid out sensibly with quality appliances, you should be fine. But for right now, since it's YOUR house, all that matters is if your happy. Very Happy
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bainst. You are the one that it needs to please first and foremost.

So long as it is a quality job with quality equipment, then you should have no problems.

Having had to downsize when we moved to Paris, I initially hated it. Now I have a lovely little kitchen with compact size fridge, freezer, dishwasher etc. It works well in the space and is enough for the two of us.

When you come to sell, if the people are wanting a huge kitchen and equipment, then obviously they are looking at the wrong house. It sounds like you couldn't cater to a huge family or group in the dining/lounge anyway. So bottom line is design away and enjoy your new space!

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with all the reno's.
dory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a smaller, older (almost 90 year old) house, with a small kitchen. I have the minimum in appliances. In fact, I have no dishwasher, and am putting off the big purchase because of limited cabinet space. Sometimes there are trade-offs to older houses.

Dory

P.S. Then I think of the small apartments and small kitchens people have in cities like Paris, New York, Madrid, etc, and 1000 square feet feels like a lot.
Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though we built our house from scratch 10 years ago and I have a good size kitchen, I still would not trade my food processor (Cuisnart DLC-8, vintage 1986) and my convection toaster oven for almost anything. It's just me and M. l'Ours and Orion the Wonder Dog most of the time, and it's perfect for roasting veggies, heating up things that go mushy in the microwave, or if I want to make banana bread. Saves energy and in warm weather keeps it cooler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: