Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What's Your Favorite European Destination?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still way too much of it for me to explore, I'll post again about it in forty years or so.

I will say that if I could only choose one place to visit ever again it would be my friend's house in Nottinghamshire. It may be a quiet little place but the company is of the highest quality and food prepared by one of the best cooks I know. Who could want for more?

"It's hot ham water."
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin,

Nottingham is interesting now, especially in the centre, but central Birmingham has been redone and is now quite amazing.

My Euro cities would be in no particular order;

PARIS - I've been there about four/five times in my life and I love the architecture and museums as well as the little surprises of shops and windows. Also because I remember going around with my mum one summer and discovering things.

FLORENCE - Because tho' I've only been there once it took my breath away. I'd also include the small town of URBINO where Raphael was born. His home and the home of the duke is there and I wanted at the age of twenty-something to retire there.

LONDON - I've worked there and I love it for it's wonderful madness. The old buildings alongside the new especially - but I still prefer BRIGHTON more, tho' I love London.

COLOGNE - I only remember from when I was very young and then, going to the cathedral which was awe-inspiring. I'd love to go back there.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it doesn't come with a best friend. It is impossible for me to travel to Europe without going there.

"It's hot ham water."
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new favorite European destination. It's (drum roll) Erin's friend's house in Nottinghamshire. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.
wdillsmith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been three times in the last few years and am hopefully going again next year. So far, I hate to say it, but Paris was my hands down favorite big city and France my favorite country. My favorite mid-sized city is Salzburg, and for small town, I'd have to say Rotenburg. Of course, I haven't been to Italy yet, so I'll have to reserve the right to change my answer next year.
friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know someone in Seville, please go for a visit. It is the birthplace of tapas and is a worldclass food destination. Trust me, few places in this world beat Seville for food culture...
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB, she makes all kinds of soups and roasts, everything cozy and warm. When we need to stretch a bit there is a marvelous little village full of little old men in tweed, brick houses and little parks to stroll around. I'm sure you'd be welcome.

I do love Paris and other locations, but I had to choose just one.

"It's hot ham water."
Gwendolyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Your Favorite European Destination? Reply with quote

Normandie and specifically Caen France, for history, visiting good friends in their homes to eat and sing together, and west to Brittanie for more fresh air, the sea, galettes and moules frites. Shopping at Un, Deux Trois for clothes in Caen.

St. Geniès in the Dordogne for small, quaint and utterly picturesque, and then to nearby Sarlat for it's market.

Canoeing down the Dordogne River (and seeing it's gazillion castles and La Roque Gageac).

Rome, definitely, for history, people, polenta, gelato, pizza and the Galería Borghese (Bernini's sculptures in real life . . . overwhelmingly beautiful) with a wild ride around its park in covered bicycle carriages.

Paris, of course, for everything: food, markets, people watching, history, art, relaxing, macarons.

Argentina for asados (barbeques) at the home of friends, warm and generous people, history, music, churros, milanesa, empanadas.

Cannes, France for its climate, food (Le Safari restaurant in Nice was excellent), walks along the beach and a trip out to the prison on Île Sainte-Marguerite. Then nearby Ville-france Sur Mer at a surprisingly cheap hotel and lounging on the beach.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really say since my list is small. I loved Prague, it may be trendy, but if you get away from the clubs, tourist shops and dudes dressed like Mozart, it is an amazing city. I have to admit that I actually miss it there.

Paris is right there as well. From the scary old lady advancing on us in the dark throwing lit cigarettes to the restaurant staff who took pity on two tired hungry tourists and invited us in for the staff meal, this is my kind of town.

"It's hot ham water."
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona, I wish I was free next month. I would join you for the spa in a flash!!!!!

I am with CB, it is too hard to decide and there are so many other places to visit that may be the next favourite.

David, Croatia is wonderful. We went there a few years ago and had the most wonderful time. Since then most of our friends have made the trip and stayed in teh same hotel we did and all came back raving about it.

Notts.... sigh. I instantly felt at home there. A little village called Keyworth. Snowed in and unable to do anything or go anywhere. Absolute delight! Coal fires and bread baked in a wood fire from teh local bakery kept us going.

I really really want to go to Prague and Transylvania. They are my pick for next year hopefully. All depends on whether we find our own place to buy and how broke we are afterwards... Laughing
bainst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the privilege to have lived in Europe for almost five years. I had the luck of traveling to quite a few countries, but my favorites are:

France- the food, the art, the language, but the reason dearest to my heart being a 13 year Army veteran is having been to Normandy a few times is indescribable. The history from 1066 to 1944 soaks into your bones. But the best part is how as an American and a military member I am treated by the residents of that area gives me an idea of how royalty is treated.

Croatia- one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Especially Dubrovnik, the beautiful tile roofs of the city to the breathtaking views of the Adriatic Sea from the top of the city walls. But the best part was the amazingly friendly people and the best ice cream I've ever eaten.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bainst, I have to say that we go to the Somme every year for the ceremony and every time I have tears in my eyes. It is incredible. We love the area and the people and have been privileged to make many wonderful friends there over the years.

The ice cream in Croatia...... I don't usually eat ice cream, but I think I ate it almost every day when there... Embarassed

Must say that I have always wanted a ginger cat to call Seville, after the oranges and marmalade of course.

Next week I shall be in one of my favourite villages in France. L'Amiraute is located 6km inland from St Tropez (near a town called Cogolin). So small it has absolutely no facilities (shops, street lights, mobile phone reception, internet etc etc). Absolute bliss. We shall spend our time at the beach - NOT St Tropez as I hate it - and in the swimming pool at the cottage or walking through the vineyards and forests to buy local rose wine at the "big house", to drink each day, before diving back into the pool.
Gwendolyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bainst, I'm looking adding Croatia to my short list. Thanks for mentioning it. And, Debbie, I'm going to study the Somme. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know much about it.

I'm really glad that I found this forum. My first travels to Europe only started in 2007 and it was so life changing we're going back for our 3rd trip this October (London, Scotland, Spain).

Does anybody have a place in Scotland they love?
We're looking for a place in Spain on the coast also. We aren't typical tourists. We love staying in one place, snooping around for great food and just plain old learning about where we are.
bainst

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn,
I spent a week in Scotland and absolutely loved it. I stayed in Glasgow and explored the city. But I also spent a day in Edinburgh. I was there in August during Jubilee which was a very exciting time. August is an amazing time to spend in Edinburgh. There is a lot of cultural events going on. I went to see the Edinburgh Military Tattoo which was so beautiful. But there are also countless other festivals going on. I highly recommend going. I'm thinking of doing a hike along Hadrian's Wall to see more of the country side.
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwendolyn,

Edinburgh has the Festival during August and I remember a looong time ago being part of a school group acting in the Fringe Festival. That's definitely the time to be in the City. But you'll need walking shoes because Edinburgh is on the sides of a steep valley!

Bainst,

Doing the length of Hadrian's Wall sounds a terrific idea... just don't dress as a Roman legionary, those Picts are troublemakers!! The Highlands are lovely just to look at. I'd recommend walking in them and reading Stevenson's Kidnapped while doing it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: