Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Caviar..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennakortan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Caviar.. Reply with quote

I am hosting an engagement for my best friend (the bride) who has expensive taste. She wants Sturgeon caviar and sushi at the party, but I'm on a budget. first of all, how do I prepare caviar? And where do I get it? Is there a decent brand that is affordable? I need some help! any input would be fantastic!
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good caviar should be eaten as it comes from the container with a bone or shell spoon.

It is quite expensive - especially if you are catering to a lot of people.

Maybe you could prepare canapes garnished with a little roe instead? Things like blinis or baby potatoes with creme fraisch and salmon, trout or other fish roe on top would be nice. Also thick slices of cucumber with a dab of creme fraisch and a piece of smoked salmon topped with a wafer thin piece of lemon and a garnish of roe.

If your friend wants the good stuff, then maybe she should be paying for it herself....
simona

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she is indeed your best friend, she should not ask for caviar knowing that you are on a budget. Expensive taste does not mean good taste. Does she even know how much caviar costs?
Asking for sushi AND caviar, - that's snobbishness.
Sorry for being so blunt. I entirely back Debbie with her reasonable and delicious suggestions.
Have a nice party,

No more war, maybe then caviar will be more affordable ( especially as caviar comes mainly from Iran and Russia)
David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with simona and Debbie. I'm sure she is going to be a lovely bride but the occasion seems to have made her lose sense of proportion!

Caviar, the real stuff, is horrendously expensive, there is no such thing as "cheap" caviar.

But there is nothing wrong with decent fish roes, and an attractive presentation can be made using red, golden and black fish roes. Now even these don't necessarily come cheaply but following Debbie's suggestions the little containers can be stretched and made extremely attractive--and the lovely salty fishy sea-burst will still cause thrills.

For an interesting selection of caviars and roes this mail order house seems to have everything one could imagine! www.markys.com
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am hosting an engagement for my best friend (the bride) who has expensive taste. She wants Sturgeon caviar and sushi at the party, but I'm on a budget.

Jenna, I'm a little confused. She has expensive tastes and wants caviar and sushi. That I get. But why do you have to provide it?

Are you doing the catering? If so, I suggest honesty. We're in a recession so tell her you are on a budget and can't do the caviar and sushi much tho' you'd like to. However, you'll give her a glorious feast nonetheless.

Then get all the bride/groom's friends together and ask them to cook up something special for the wedding. You may have to sort out who will do savouries and who will do the desserts, but the result will be a feast and one made from love for both bride and groom. That alone will be more special for the wedding because it comes from the heart not merely the wallet.

I hope the wedding is fabulous and that the bride comes to see how much she means to all these people who love her. A wedding, like a christening and even a funeral wake is an adventure. And an adventure cannot be entirely planned for, but must be enjoyed to be respected. Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: