Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Passover and Other Jewish Celebrations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simona

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: passover etc Reply with quote

Hello ,
Passover is one week away , and everybody is in a state of amok around here. Supermarkets are overcrowded, presents are bought, new clothes are poured over the kids and food is being cooked in astronomic quantities, af if we face seven years of famine . We have a small Seder this year, only 12 persons, as the kids are with the "other" grandparents.
Judy, Matzos are the staple basic food for passover. It's a kind of big square thin cracker made only of flour and water, no yeast of course ( it's forbidden). Today there are many improvemnts on this rather boring kind of food, and we have chocolate coated matzos ( in my opinion they belong to the forun dealing of food never to pass my lips),egg matzos ( very good), light Matzos ( less calories, but still very fattening) .
Yes, of course Lexi is right, food, religion, rituals and traditions are closely linked. But I do think the food element has a very big part in jewish relious tradition, because it doesn't only involve the holidays. It involves every day life. Observant Jews have to keep a large array of dietary laws, all their food has to be Kosher, with a special rabbinical authorization . Every aspect of food is regulated: the kind of meats and fish allowed, how to slaughter the cattle, no dairy food eaten together with meat food, etc etc ,etc. Passover adds to these every day restrictions the "do not eat leavened bread " one.
Lexi, Lady, I feel we are going to eat more or less the same food on Saturday evening: chopped liver, chopped eggs, soup and matzo balls , chicken ( we eat lamb also), and too many matzos.
The orthodox Eastern is next in line. Any recipes from our friends celebrating the greek orthodox eastern?
The next Jewish holiday is in June, seven weeks after passover, and it's one of the most holy ones - Shavuoth, or the feast of the "giving of the Torah" . It's associated with dairy food, but it's enough for today,
Happy Passover,
David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona (and anyone else who can help) Is there an appropriate Passover greeting? I just wished a friend of mine a "Jolly Passover" and she certainly gave me a bewildered look. I realize it is a solemn festival but since it is marked by eating I figured it had to be a joyful festival as well.
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
You can't go wrong wishing some one a happy holiday (which would be a rough translation from the Hebrew of what one might say). My personal greeting or greeting card sentiment is best wishes for a happy and meaningful Passover, since the holiday does focus so much on the meaning and not just the ritual and the meal.

Jolly might be a bit strong for a holiday dealing with plagues, 40 years marching and slavery, but that could be a linguisitic difference between English speaking countries.
suzy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love "Jolly Passover!"

I've been pouring over recipes, determined to do something different this year for the seder (as opposed to the standard roast chicken, roast potatoes, and asparagus.) I plan to make chicken soup and matzo balls (I like fresh dill in mine), gefilte fish (store bought), but not sure after that. Any fresh ideas? Epicurious has an interesting eggplant, lamb, and matzo thing...

A jolly passover to you all.
David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks creampuff and suzy! plagues, 40 years of wandering hmmm I think I'll settle on "a good and peace filled Passover".
simona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: passover Reply with quote

"Jolly Passover". I love this David, I love this very much. In Hebrew it sounds weird, but what a lovely sound in canadian ( sorry, english).
But if you want to be Passoverly correct, than the "right" greetings would be" A happy and kosher Pesach to you" - Kosher for Pesach is more Kosher than Kosher - it's about the Matzos and no baguettes. Even the non religious jews, like me, don't eat bread on the Seder night. But in Israel 2005 you can find restaurants who serve bread, bakeries open in the non jewish quarters, things unthinkable 10-20 years ago.

Hi creampuff, are you an Hebrew speaker? Pesah is not a sad holiday,not a solemn festival, on the contrary: we celebrate our passage from slavery to freedom; the plagues were bad for the poor egyptians, the jews, thank G. were spared; it's mandatory to drink 4 glasses of wine so as to make sure everyone is happy, and there are many songs to be sung.

Hi Suzy, Hag Sameah ( Happy holiday in Hebrew). Why not try a nice roasted leg of lamb with rosemary with a mint sauce? Or a Roulade of breast of veal with prunes ? Or corned beef with a potato salad? I considered "canard a l'orange" , but i'll leave it for the last day of Pesach.
And what's wrong with a roastbeef, roasted root vegetables, string greean beans sauteed in olive oil and garlic ?
We will have baked carp with herbs, the inevitable chicken soup with "kneidalech" ( matzo balls in Iddish), Pate of chicken liver, the inevitable roast chicken ( but with oranges and apples and a little white wine) and lamb, Potatoes, baby carrots with butter, lemon and mint and a big green salad with a vinaigreete, walnuts and pomelo slices.
THE Chocolate walnut cake ( see recipe somewhere in this forum), strawberries and a lot of good red wine will complete the meal.

No more war, more Jolly, happy, peaceful, joyful, meaningful and loveful Pesah!!
simona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: passover Reply with quote

Encore me. Before I plunge in the preparation of the Seder, I would like to share one more recipe for passover, before it's too late. As you well know, bread is "out" during the eight days of the passover holiday, but something with the consistency of bread was invented: the Matzo flour buns. They are delicious, and make a very nice change to the dry Mazos.

Zina's ( my mother) Matzo flour buns - Kosher for Pesah ( Passover):

1 cup water
100 g margarine ( or butter)
1.5 cup Matzo flour
5 eggs
Salt, pepper
1 egg for basting

Bring to a boil the water and Margarine ( Butter). Add salt .
Add the matzo flour and stir well. Cool for five minutes.
Add eggs one by one, incorporating them well .
Add pepper and more salt if needed ( You can taste the mix, it's edible).
Put a tablespoonful of the batter on an slightly oiled baking sheet,or take a little batter in your hands and form a ball the size of a ping-pong ball.
( It's easier if your hands are wet) . Baste with egg. you may sprinkle kummmel if you like (I don't).
Bake at 200C until done (do the tooth paste test - if it come out dry, its done). It's delicious and feels like bread. Bon Appetit!

no more war, more matzo flour buns!
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Jews of East European extraction do not eat lamb on Passover for reasons that have something to do with the destruction of the temple.
Some very observant Jews don't eat any roast meat at the seder for the same reason.

On the other hand, a lot of Sephardic and Middle Eastern Jews seek out lamb dishes at this time because of its connection to the holiday.

It is probably a good idea before serving lamb to your Passover guests to check just to check make sure they are comfortable with the concept.

There are many other rules and restrictions that some people follow, others ignore and still others don't even know about. Judaism 101 has info on Passover food guidelines and more. The link to the Passover info is www.jewfaq.org/kfpfood.htm

I didn't mean to imply it is a sad holiday, just that it is not a trivial one. Jolly to an American's ears is a bit odd.
David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a great thread! So very much to learn. And such good and willing teachers. Thanks to you all and a happy and kosher Pesach to you! (thanks simona)

yes creampuff "jolly" really isn't a very American word is it, much more British/Canadian I guess----and I use it to express joy.
simona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: passover Reply with quote

Hello ,
today is the last Day of Passover, and thanks G. No more Matzos until next year. But this evening is also a day for a special celebration, traditional only with the Maroccon Jewish community. It's colled "mimouna" and it celebrates the end of the Passover and the returning to flour consumption. The mimouna is a recognized feast , and kisd don't go to school the next day. On this evening, the Jews of Marocco
"open" literally their home, to friends family and whoever wants to come in and invite them to share their " break of Passover" with an incredible array of sweets based on marzipan, fresh fruits, various nuts, jams and confitures, dried fruits . An then, they prepare, with the first flour , delicious pancakes , fried in olive oil and served with butter and honey. These pankakes are named " moufleta", and though very fattening, are delicious. We are invited today to friends of maroccon origin, in a little county-side village near Tel Aviv, and I'm afraid I will forget all about my everlasting diet.

No more war, more "moufletas"
simona

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year 5770!!
I enjoyed very much reading this thread , and though it's mostly about Passover, it does fit for this occasion too.
So to all our friends, Jews and non- Jews. I wish you a very happy, healthy and peaceful New year.
And because this is a food blog, some tips about the food we eat today and tomorrow: food with a sweet note, beginning with a slice of apple dipped in honey, followed by some fish, then meat/chicken with dried fruits , and of course , a honey cake. I will certainly not check my sugar level tomorrow!!

No more war, many more happy new years!!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very Happy New Year 5770 to you and to everyone, Simona.

The foods you're planning to eat to celebrate Rosh Hashana (hope I've got that right) sound delicious.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rachel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year Simona! I haven't bought any apples since arriving in LA, so it'll have to be plums and honey for me (could be interesting!).
minty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new Year ! Very Happy
David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed a happy new year to all! sorry I missed all this on Saturday!

Nice to see you here simona--hope all is well??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: