Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Passover and Other Jewish Celebrations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was wondering. Are there any special dietary restrictions/traditions for Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur and Sukkot? I want to bring food to some gatherings, and want to look culturally appropriate despite not being Jewish.

Dory
dory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was wondering. Are there any special dietary restrictions/traditions for Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur and Sukkot? I want to bring food to some gatherings, and want to look culturally appropriate despite not being Jewish.

Dory
simona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dory,
There are no special dietary restrictions for these celebrations, besides the regular ones: religious people eat Kosher all the year round ( only Passover has additional Kosher restrictions). As for tradition: for Rosh Hashana - sweet foods, honey cake, honey - chocolate is welcome too. All this sweet food is meant to ensure that the new year will be.. sweet .
For Yom Kippour you don't bring food of course. After the fast, you eat more sweet things ( at least my mother did) and then you eat a regular meal.
There are not special tradition for Sukkoth food, though autum fruits, dates and dried fruits are served. The most important tradition is to eat in the Sukka, a special space ( like a square tent with palm leaves as a roof, if possible)ouside in the open- symbolizing the tents where the Israelites lived during 40 years they took to march in the desert from Egypt to Israel.
Hope it helps,

No more war, but peace doesn't mean one has to over-indulge in honey cakes!
dory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is helpful. Thank you.

Dory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: