Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

change, change and more change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: change, change and more change Reply with quote

I can't believe it, but I finally moved to San Diego, CA! Smile The people here are incredibly friendly and laid back. So different from Los Angeles where most people have their guard up (and usually for good reason). Wink

Two months ago, I somehow managed to convince my boss that it would be a great idea for me to work from our San Diego offices, even though no one else from our department currently works there.

I looked at a few houses a few days after I moved to San Diego, put an offer on one, and lo and behold, my offer was accepted. (I've been turned down 4 other times since I started looking in May.)

After negotiating back and forth on the price (there were repairs needed for the house), the seller and I settled on a final sale price.

Now, I'm in escrow and am due to close in 2 weeks.

It's only my third week in San Diego!

My dad wants to renovate the kitchen in my new home. It really needs it.

That's a lot of change for three weeks, isn't it? This is more change than I've experienced in the past few years. It's so odd.

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Lots of changes and they all sound delightful! San Diego is the one California city I thought I could live in (and no it isn't just because of the naval base!!) My late uncle was an Episcopalian minister down there--I often joke he brought Christianity to Southern Cal..
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I especially love about San Diego is the small town feel it has. Most of the major parks have free concerts in the summer (including Balboa Park) where families picnic and congregation during the weekday. There are also a lot of independently run coffee shops, restaurants and businesses you can walk to in most neighborhoods.

And I haven't even made it to the beach yet! I'm hoping that a year of ballet classes will pay off when I try to take surfing classes next year.

madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harpospeaking. I had to look up escrow...a new word for me..

By golly how exciting it all sounds ...bravo!

joyously busy it seems..
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escrow is sort of an evil thing. It's on average, a 30 day period to get all things in place to sell a house and transfer ownership. Anything can go wrong and there are usually a lot of loose ends to tie up right down to the deadline date. Escrow closes on my house August 6th. Every day this week, I've been putting out fires that have been getting in the way of my closing escrow on time.

I joked with my coworker that the process of purchasing a home in California has been so painful, the only way I'll move out of this house is if I'm being carried in a body bag.

harpospeaking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more change to come . . . my dad is renovating my kitchen. We just laid down floor tile and installed the washer and dryer. It will be another 6 weeks before the cabinets and countertops are installed. *sigh* It's beautiful though.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new kitchen is bliss!

You must post photos so we can all enjoy it too.

I love seeing other peoples kitchens. Would rather see the kitchen than any other room in the house I think. Laughing
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost there, Debbie. I called Home Depot and my cabinets should be delivered in a few days. I look forward to cooking my own food again. Eating out is no longer a treat when done too frequently.

madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, I agree..loveeeeeeeee kitchens.

also another agreement...photos of THE kitchen please. How very very very exciting it all sounds.
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kitchen is halfway done. Progress has halted due to some delayed kitchen cabinets. I got so frustrated I finally caved in and started a blog. I guess all this uprooting and first-time home owning has required me to have some sort of release.

Here's my blog where you can find updates on my kitchen (and the rest of the house):

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com/

I never ever thought I'd start a blog because I always knew I'd either run out of things to say or just lose interest over time. We'll see what happens. More change! Sheesh!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: