Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Introductions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says I'm slow? I mean, good grief, been an active member here for more than two years and had no idea this thread existed.

So, here goes.

Let's see. My name is Brook. Age is nobody's business, but I can remember nine different presidents. Married to my childhood sweetheart; 42 years in a trial marriage and we're beginning to think it's going to work out. Two grown sons, both of whom are foodies.

We live in central Kentucky, where the bluegrass meets the mountains, but have traveled extensively, primarily in the U.S. and Canada, but including an incredible three-weeks in Swedish Lapland.

I'm a freelance writer, with food and culinary topics among my specialties. I'm the reviews editor at Cheftalk.com, and also write a series of articles there on camp cooking. Other food & cookery venues I've written for are diverse as Mother Earth News and Taste of the South.

I love all sorts of cooking and food prep, and do a lot of restaurant-type cooking at home---which ain't all that easy when you have a kitchen about the size of the galley in a small sailboat.

Recently I started a new project for all those folks who are just coming into cooking, or who want to develop their techniques, called "The In Your Kitchen Cooking School." As the name implies, I actually go to your house, where I conduct the classes for the host and a group of friends.

I'm passionate about the outdoors, and have a website devoted to hunting, fishing, camping, etc. You can find it at: www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com.

Friend Wife and I are historical reenactors, and spend as much time in the 18th century as we do in the 21st.

Meanwhile, in my copious spare time........
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said KYHeirloomer ~ am imagining cyberspace classes....
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historical reenactors!! Way cool Brook!! No involved myself but have watched the Battle of Crysler's Farm and one or two others down along the St Lawrence. These are 1812 battles of course.. Enjoy how your fellow reenactors get totally involved! So do you two have specific personas you inhabit? Please tell more!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do and we don't, David. First off, we don't do reenacting as much as we used to, because with the diabeties it's hard for Friend Wife to camp in the summer. The heat is difficult for her to cope with. That's why, for instance, we don't do the Battle of Blue Licks anymore, despite the fact that I narrated it for many years. August in Kentucky is just too hot and too humid, unfortunately.

We concentrate on the trans-Allegheny exploration and settlement period, roughly 1750-1792.

When attending formal events we do so as well-to-do farmer/merchants. Our home, then, is a 12 x 16 foot marquee tent modeled off one of the three used by George Washington.

When I'm just out with the boys---trekking, beaver trapping, whatever---it's in the guise of a longhunter

We went hog-wild with authentic period cookery, to the point where I wrote a column, Historic Foodways, in one of the hobbiest magazines. And we coauthored a booklet (still available) called "A Colonial Cookery Sampler," which introduces people to some of the great recipes of the time. In fact, my facination (some would same obsession) with heirloom vegetables resulted from that. I came into heirlooms not so much as a grower, but as a food historian.

1812! First of our unpopular wars. Both sides claim victory. But if we won it, how come they don't talk 'Merican in Montreal? Laughing
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am imagining cyberspace classes....

That would involve videos, Madame. And considering I don't even own a digital still camera, producing videos would be difficult.

But, more than that, the classes are designed to be hands on. I'm there to teach and guide, not just to demo techniques.
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating Brook! Funhow one interest (re-enacting) could lead to another life long obsession (heirloom vegies) isn't it?

I've excellent and wonderful friends living outside Knoxville (Seyour to be precise) and your use of the word "Merican made me smile broadly.

But yeah, we won. Very Happy
dory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brook,

I visited your website and you are truly an interesting person.

Dory
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, shucks, Dory. Now I'll have to go out and buy a bigger hat. Embarassed

Glad you enjoyed the website, though.
CadburyQueen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Newbie from NY Reply with quote

Hi everybody! My name is Leela and I'm a newbie to the forums and I'm an up and coming blogger. I've been a Clotilde Dusoulier fan for a while now and I'm constantly inspired and amazed with the writing on her blog and in her books. Because of her, I too have decided to become a food blogger. The only issue I'm having so far is that I don't really know what to write about -- but that's another story for another day.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here!
David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leela! Welcome aboard the good ship Clotilde!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: