Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ground Beef Safety?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age of your hot water heater will pretty much determine whether or not you point about dishwashers is true. Due to liability concerns, newly installed hot water heaters are set at an incredibly low temperature---something on the order of 120F.

When we had a new one installed the hot water actually felt cold to me (like you we don't have a dishwasher), and the first thing I did was reset the thermostat to a more realistic temperature.

However, I disagree with your basic point. Soap and hot water (truly hot, not 120 degrees) will sanitize any part of your food processor. If you're still concerned after simple washing, pour boiling water over the parts, and that will take care of any problems.

All that aside, cross-contamination---even with poultry---is more a theoretical problem than a real one. Everybody talks about it, but nobody I've challanged to do so can show me supporting evidence.

I am not recommending poor santitation. What I'm saying is that realistic attention to cleanliness is all it takes to stay safe and healthy.

Something that amuses me, on this subject, is all the celebrity chefs who now make a big deal about washing up after handling protein. They dutifully go over to the sink, turn on the water, wash their hands, and turn off the water---never once even rinsing the facet handles that are now cross contaminating their hands any time they touch them.

BTW, not all knives are impermeable the way you mean it. Carbon steel, for instance, is just as absorbent as some plastics. But anyone trying to take my carbon knives away is in for a fight.
Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dory, have you tried grapefruit seed extract or tea tree oil? A few drops will obliterate anything.
dory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that KYheirloomer is right. I think my issues with cross-contamination are more emotional than realistic. I was a vegetarian for a long time, and still eat more veggies than meat. Often I cook meat for the family and just eat veggies myself. Meat "feels like" it should not be clean, so I clean up fanatically after touching it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: