Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Does anyone else do this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Does anyone else do this? Reply with quote

Any other C&Z'ers out there who feed their dogs homemade food?
I started doing it because Orion (13-y.o. Brittany boy) has a sensitive tummy. Just wondering.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is no, cos I don't have a dog!!

But when we had cats, the best they could expect was scraps mixed in with their food or cheap cuts of fish boiled and flavoured with rosemary or sage. Our last cat was extremely good at purrsuasion where I was concerned, but I have always been a sucker for a cat.

So long as the vet advises you, I suppose it's ok though. It's when your dog has a sensitive soul and languishes on a chaise longue in a velvet smoking jacket and cravat reading Oscar Wilde that you have to worry.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a trendy thing, right now. But, frankly, unless there is a medical reason for it, I don't see any need to cook specially for my dogs.

Generally speaking, they only get dry food, occasionally suplemented with table scraps (and, of course, they share my sandwiches when we're out in the field). But they get premium dog food, with a high protein level.
simona

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not and I'll never a dog/cat person. But one of my best friends has a dog for whom she cooks daily fresh food ( I advised her to get professional help..).So I have to hear nearly every day about his menu: french toasts with fresh cream or omlet with ham in the morning, meat balls with vegetables and rice or pasta for lunch and G. knows what for dinner ( maybe foie gras?). This dog has never seen/tasted dog food in his life!!! She is going to be a granmother soon and I hope her grandchildren will get the same loving treatment... but I'm not sure.

No more war, equal rights for dogs and cats ( and other pets)
swan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, Simona, good to see you!
Professional help for your friends mind and soul or to do the dog-cooking Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Very Happy ?!?!?!? (uhm, I mean, the dogs'foods'cooking, cooking FOR the dog, not cooking the dog ofcourse Cool Confused )

I say, unless there's a medical reason NOT to: give pets (good quality/premium) petfood. Isn't that what it's for?!?!?!?!?
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a neighbor who fed her Maltese mix a diet of raw meat. She said it did wonders for his health problems. Sounds like a lot of work though.

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only on holidays
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made home made dog cookies for the mutts on and off but never really cooked up a meal just for them (although Dick consistently overcooked all food to ensure there was a spoonful for each at least after we'd had our meal)

But as a child in the 50's on the west coast we had a lovely border collie named Nipper who developed what seemed to be a case of mange. The vet advised home cooked stew bones with vegies. Mom did this for quite awhile and it worked, and at the time butchers would just give away that sort of leftover and we grew beans and stuff by the bushel so it wasn't really an onerous task, and since I was such a perfect child requiring no effort to raise Mom did have the time to do it.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet you changed your own diapers, David!

I unfortunately live next door to a little boxer who has been just this side of illegal ignored. (Why do people like that even GET a dog??) She gets (forbidden by the neighbors) treats as often as I dare. She likes liverwurst or fried eggs mashed up into a baked potato. We hope it keeps her warmer.
Our own dog (now gone) ate Science Diet dog food, and a little of anything else he asked for politely.
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done both ...fed homemade food and store bought & i cant honestly say i saw much difference in health or coat in my cats & dogs...it was a lot of trouble to make ur own....i used brown rice & mixed veggies & cooked ground turkey, or sometimed cooked chix and even picked it off for them....i added various mixtures of things suggested for cats in the book "The Natural Cat"........so now i am down to 2 kitties & they get some canned & some dry food, but no people food (they don't like it!) and my life is much easier....
Snowy Owl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had many dogs but I never made their food ... maybe I should have but somehow after I fed the kids ... dog food was the easiest ....
David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agreee Melinda, my 5 dogs thrive on their diet of Pedigree dry dog food, a tablespoon of wet and leftovers quite nicely. I only see the point if there is a health issue as with Mmel'ours' aging pup or my long gone Nipper.

gingerpale, no I didn't change my own diapers, was never an issue--womb to fully potty trained in about an hour as I recall.
Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Goodness! I didn't think that I'd stir up such a thread.
In answer to some thoughts...no, I don't make special doggy meals. I simply keep a lot of canned salmon on hand, cook extra chicken, and when I make pasta sauce or chili, I cook extra bison or turkey. I combine the protein with some cooked veggies and use sweet potatoes or oatmeal for the carb component. He does well with Milk Bones. He gets MSM/glucosamine/chondroiten, fish oil and calcium as supplements. His favorite treat is banana.
The problem is that even high end premium dog foods have ingredients in them such as flax and echinacea--both members of the daisy family, and Orion is allergic to them (don't ask). There's one kind of wet canned food he can eat, but at $2.75 a can, we save it for days when Mommy just ain't in no mood to cook. Or be grammatical.
Bottom line: vet says he's one of the healthiest dogs on her caseload. She expects him to be around for many years to come. So, gentle C&Z'ers, do what works for your companions.
dory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook for my dogs. I don't spend hours making elaborate dishes. However, I give them ultra-premium dog food and like to mix it with something fresh like meat-- their dad is South American so there is usually something carnivorous around-- and fresh veggies. I have an 18 year old dog, so I may be doing something right. I also don't have kids (even miracle ones) although I always wanted them, so I have no diapers to change. One of my dogs became so enamored of fresh tomatoes, which he used to get in his plate, that he would go outside in summer and pick ripe tomatoes off the vine. We still think of him and his little red moustache in tomato season. All of my dogs are crazy about asparagus, some like spaghetti with pesto, and some have liked artichokes and peppers. We like them to have their favorite foods sometimes, just like we enjoy ours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: